Thread: Unable to keep printer connectivity to home network

question Unable to keep printer connectivity to home network

I used an HP LaserJet printer for about 10 months connected to my Dell ( XP Pro) with ethernet cbl. Last month decided to connect it to my home network thru my LynkSys router ( wire & wireless) so I could also use it with an Acer netbook ( Windows 7).

I installed it and got a test page from both computers. Then, I did not print for a few days and when I tried, it did not from either one. Thinking it was just a bad installation, removed it and reinstall it, also getting test pages. I also printed several documents from both without any problem that day. The next day, when I tried it, it would not print nor could I get a test page so I had lost the connectivity to the printer.

I access the internet thru the network/router which works fine. To make sure it was not the cable, got a new ethernet cable for the printer and tried it connected to all four cable connection positions of the router, none working.

I went to System Recovery and tried restoring it the day of the last installation and it would not. Then, selected one, two and three days before and again was not able. I did noticed that almost every day for the last few months, there was a Software Distribution Service 3.0, so I'm wondering if that in itself is impacting the printer.

A while ago, after reading some comments on the net about Software Dist Service and folks losing internet connection, went ahead and changed Auto Update so it tell me about updates and do not auotmatically installs.

I would appreciate your thoughts and comments and please elaborate in detail as I 'm a novice learning. I just joined so I hope I was not too lenghty above
    RaulM

Re: Unable to keep printer connectivity to home network

Quote Originally Posted by raulmw View Post
    I installed it and got a test page from both computers. Then, I did not print for a few days and when I tried, it did not from either one. Thinking it was just a bad installation, removed it and reinstall it, also getting test pages. I also printed several documents from both without any problem that day. The next day, when I tried it, it would not print nor could I get a test page so I had lost the connectivity to the printer.
    Well, as you said it worked fine for a day and than stopped working. I'll suggest to try reconnecting. Try this with the following steps:-
    • Open Printers by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.
    • On the toolbar, click Add a printer.
    • In the Add Printer Wizard, select Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer, and then follow the steps in the wizard.

Do let me know the result.

Re: Unable to keep printer connectivity to home network

For adding the printer to the home network follow the steps mentioned below properly.
    1. Start the Control panel
    2. Open Printers and Faxes from there.
    3. Select the Add printer option from the left hand side of the Window.
    4. After that you will see the add printer wizard and go ahed with this Wizard
    5. Set the printer as the Network printer and complete the setup of the printer.
    6. Restart the systems of the network
    7. Now you can see and use this printer from any system in this network.