Thread: Don't know what is Smurf Attack

Don't know what is Smurf Attack

Hello friends,

I am studying the ''Internet security". While referring on of internet security book I read about the Smurf Attack. I didn't understand this internet attack as it's new for me. I have gone through different books but didn't get enough information about this attack. Are you aware about this "Smurf Attack"? if yes than please let me know some details about this type of attack

Re: Don't know what is Smurf Attack

The Smurf attack is one method of creating traffic of computer network on a network victim.. In such Smurf internet attacks attack, a attacker sends a very large amount of echo request of ICMP i.e ping traffic to various IP broadcast addresses.This is a type of denial of service (DOS) attack that floods a target system via spoofed broadcast ping messages.On a multi access broadcast network many machines may reply to each of these packet.

In this type of attack, attacker sends an IP ping request to the various network site. In which Source attacker sends attack background traffic and echo request traffic to the. Then an intermediate test port simulates an intermediate network and then sends attack echo reply traffic to the target host in the destination network· Destination test port simulates the target host and network. It is very difficult to avoid this Smurf Attack.

In this type of attack, attacker try to sends ICMP Request packets (this is a echo request)in which the IP address of source has been forged. In this Attack on internet we can be affected in one of the ways that is As a network which is being abused for amplifying the attack OR as a target or a victim of the attack OR as a party harboring the instigator of the attack. I hope that this information will help you to understand the Smurf Attack.

In the Smurf Attack the ,attacker send ICMP packets to the target of the attack. And after this attacker try to send these datagrams of ICMP to LANs broadcast addresses by using the directed broadcast addresses. All the alive hosts try to pick up this ICMP datagram . Than try to send reply to each of this datagram request. This type of attack can affect more than 100 hosts at single time. In this attack the attacker may use large sized packects for to increase the attack effectiveness.

Hi,

The Smurf Attack is basically the sub-type of Denial Of Service Attacks(DOS Attacks). The Smurf Attack causes the degradation in the victim's performance. It also responsible to slow down the intermediary networks, network congestion. This attack doesn't allow the authorized user to to get the services of network. In this type of attack every host replies result into the flooding and congestion of the network.