Thread: MAC Encryption and filtering

MAC Encryption and filtering

The MAC using encryption and filtering on your wireless network can we have an impact on the bandwidth. If I am browsing the web or collecting email this give me the trouble but if I am likely to be transferring large bits of data, video for example, then what can I do to implement MAC Address filtering. I need some more details about the encryption and filtering policies.

Re: MAC Encryption and filtering

Routers will, by defaulting tolerate any computer that endeavors to have a right to enter and you can join the network. One of the basic steps for securing your wireless network is to get your router to stop them at the first boundary marker. Every network port, on every computer, has a MAC (Media Access Control) address.

Filtering is the basic terms and it is everlasting, distinctive address tied to that network port - whether it be a corporeal wired network port or a wireless network card such as the Sonnet Aria. Your router should allow you to contradict access to all computers except those that you allow simply by entering their MAC addresses into the list of accepted computers/devices.

On your Mac you can find the MAC address of your network ports in the Network predilection pane. They will be scheduled as both Airport ID and Ethernet ID. It's worth copying both of these addresses into your conventional devices list, as you may need to attach via Ethernet in an urgent situation. You should be aware the MAC address filtering is no more than a speed bump to someone who knows what they are doing, but it is a useful technique for keeping out the curious out of a home network.

By pertaining an encryption technique to your network, not only will anyone who wants to join your network need a password, but all the data will be twisted too. The two main types of encryption are: WEP - Wired Equivalent Privacy and WPA - Wi-Fi Protected Access. WEP presents inadequate sanctuary that would deter only casual snooping. However WEP may be the only encryption you can apply to keep older systems on the network.

WPA is more safe and sound but does had a necessitate to MAC OS 10.3 or later, and Airport 3.3 or later for the 802.11b Airport card or description 3.2 or later for the Airport Extreme card. Check the certification of any device you might want to use to guarantee its WPA companionable before implementing WPA encryption.