Thread: Issues with Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem

Issues with Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem

I am in a real fix and need your help to solve the issue. I have a Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem which i have connected to an Airport Extreme. Another Airport Extreme is set up as remote and both the Extremes are set up as WDS. The Problem is the Status light on the Cable modem randomly change which according to the manual is due to some connectivity issue. Also the wireless networks to which I connect using My Macbook does not get saved. So if anybody is facing the same Issue with Motorola Surfboard cable modem, please suggest some solutions. Can the modem be faulty?

Re: Issues with Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem

I would suggest you to check the configuration of the Network which you have implemented again. I think there is some problem in the configuration which is creating such problem. Disconnect every device which is connected to the network and then connect one device at a time and see if the modem works properly. If on connecting any particular device if the modem starts behaving abnormally then check the network preferences of the device and change it if necessary.

Both the Airport Extremes are configured in WDS mode. WDS mode is only used when we have to increase the range of the Wireless network. In WDS the access points are linked to each other which is known as Meshing. If the Access points do not link together properly, it brings down the entire network. You can try to power down one of the Airport extreme and then see if the network is working properly. Instead of switching the Airport extreme you can also try to reset Airport extreme and link it again properly.

All the networking devices work on certain algorithms which are nothing but software's which run the device. This software can corrupt and create problems in the proper functioning of the device. This software is known as the firmware of the device which needs to be upgraded if the device is not working properly. Get the firmware of the Motorola Surfboard modem updated from the official site and then reboot the Modem. after updating the firmware of the Modem, I dont think you will face any problems with proper working of the Modem.

Your Macbook is not able to save the details of the Networks connected because of the preferences you have set. To make the Macbook remember the network to which it connected, you will have to enter certain settings on the Macbook. Open the Apple menu and click on the System preferences. Now select Network Preferences and go to the Advanced Tab. In the advanced tab, check mark the box which says "Remember the Networks which this computer has joined". Now save the settings and then exit the wizard. Now the Macbook will remember the network to which it is connected.

Probably the Modem has gone bad and needs to be changed. Read the Users manual properly and look if the symptoms are listed in the Manual. If the system is not listed in the manual then the modem has gone bad. Before replacing the modem, try to reset the modem to factory settings and see if it works. If restoring to the factory settings does not work then you will have to replace the modem as there is no other solution.