Thread: SME 7.4 server inaccessible

SME 7.4 server inaccessible

This morning I had the unpleasant surprise of finding my SME Server 7.4 (updated from 7.2) inaccessible. It acts as a domain controller with roaming profiles, file server for sharing restrictive by users and mail server. The machine in question is an HP Workstation XW 4100, installed on 2 discs samsung ide 160GB in software raid1.

Fortunately for me, I had the same machine at one of my users. I plugged the records of the SME and above all is left!

The user is not happy because it's the end of the year and he realizes that to make up for the day late.

The fault lies with the graphics card on PCI slot, I do not find in pci, even occasionally. I have a GX280.It is a P4 HT 3.2 1GB, I mounted 2GB ddr2.But, there has 2 SATA disks.

In recent months, I have been fighting against a virus and I almost won my battle here!My SME has resisted, except that when I restart, I still have the same problem.

I also noted that I have access to webmail, but not thunderbird.

Re: SME 7.4 server inaccessible

It is not that long, that we do not know what you want. You dive a PC, it works, then it works not, then you rejoins? But there is a virus. And a graphics card. A pinch of webmail and all that.

A problem with both my friend. I think you need your SME transferring from one machine to another.

Yes, its unclear! Its quite confusing.

All I can say is that your SME appears in a pitiful state. I think I do not blame it but its better to reinstall the latest version, then recover on disks in the old data and possibly the config (/etc). You take no risk, since you still drives the old intact.

A backup (no need, you can directly copy the old disk to the new) and the total restoration will only see the problems on your new SME. But it can also be a good method in that it separates the problems: transfer of a share, viruses and various other. Once the new SME service is installed, you can always treat (one by one!) Other problems.

I thought I was clear. So that's it. I have 1 SME in production which is domain controller with roaming profile, mail server, internet connection sharing sharing files.

I have a new server and I want to recover my data with their user profiles, email etc ...

My SME server is present for which I must transfer the data to a new server problems.
    The services that I use to work are:
    - Roaming Profiles with gestures on quotas
    - Sharing internet connection
    - Messaging (using Thunderbird)
    - File sharing

But for example, the webmail does not work (it is enabled).
    At startup, I have error messages like "Waiting for mysql" although I did the update to version 7.4 (I say this to the operating context of my current sme)
    If I use the "Make a backup USB support" is that these errors will also be saved and then restored on the new server?

I use SME since 2004 as a professional now, but I never had to such manipulation. Because I do the tests, but hey we think not necessarily.

Which method should I do for many users back up my data, profiles, pass, email, documents

If you want to solve your problem you must not only be as clear as possible, but also read and understand the answers you have given. You could try reinstalling the latest version. If you had not read and understood, this means that, whatever the method chosen, the recovery of all refer of course the problems on the new SME. You're asking us whether to photocopy or scan a document to remove the stained spots! I also stated that you can proceed by direct copy of your old to your new drive without using any backup software.

But it can also be a good method in that it separates the problems: transfer of a share, viruses and various other. Once the new SME service is installed, you can always treat (one by one!) Other problems.
    This means that you can treat the problems separately, take care of transferring your SME on the new hardware first, and once that is done to repair what is wrong.

If you want to do everything at once, it must recover that data (which do not affect the operation of SME), and not all your configuration that is likely to be at least partially responsible for your problems.

It may possibly be interesting to try to retrieve the config if we assume that
    - The config will self-adapt to new equipment. This is normally the case, but I tend to be very cautious with very different material,
    - The problem is a partially broken and no config. We must in this case retrieve only the config, not the entire system.

Of course, do not get the config involves recreating and users (what you probably call their profile) will be recreated as they are part. But, their data are not included and can be recovered with any other data. To recreate the users, you can also use the LAT.

Thank you for your answers and your explanations.

You're right, I wanted to make a stone of 2 strokes! Retrieve data with the config, while leaving aside the problems of the former SME.

I actually reinstalled a new SME 7.4, but I have not yet recovered.

I will try to retrieve the config and data separately copying directly through
    WinSCP.