Thread: Unable to connect to the port23 on Telnet

Unable to connect to the port23 on Telnet

I am using DELL Studio One 19 desktop computer with Windows XP as operating system. I use the computer for entertainment as well as for working purpose. I also access internet on daily basis for downloading various files, surfing, etc. Recently got an problem on my desktop, i was unable to connect to anything using the telnet software that comes with Windows. Also i have enabled the telnet service, but problem and throws error: "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connection failed". Please help to fix this problem.

Re: Unable to connect to the port23 on Telnet

Actually you have not provided the complete information about the problem occurring on your desktop. Firstly would like to ask, weather this error is coming inside the local area network(LAN) or coming the remote networking? And according to me the port 23 is the TCP port and not the ISP port. Also check that you can ping any site or not? Think so this error may come, because on the server end the port must have been changed from the default.

This very common problem related to the server side. The error you got (i.e Could not open a connection to host on port 23.) is because either the telnet server may not be configured to listen on port 23 or may be Telnet Server is not started. In order to solve this problem, make sure that Telnet Server is been start and configured well to listen on port 23. And if this is not possible, then specify the configured port after the host name when connecting. Hope your problem will be solved.

I know this is irritating error for you, because i also face this problem(error) few days back and got frustrated to solve it. In my case, this error cause due to the antivirus firewall faulty settings. When i turn off the firewall, the error went away. So, i would you also to turn off the firewall once and check weather the problem is solve, and also check on command prompt weather the Telnet service is on or not. Hope your problem will be fix.

The problem you are telling is not explained completely or correctly. Try to elaborate your problem step by step, so i can give perfect solution. But right now, i can tell you that it may be due to the firewalls problem. Most of the our firewalls defaults settings does not allow all this features to work properly or block them. So, check that firewalls settings and if needed change it. Hope your problem will be fix.

Firstly would say that this error is coming due to firewall on either client side or server side or may be the server is started. And would also like to recommend you to install package telnet-server-<version>.rpm, which you can find on the telnet software disks. After that run the command given below:
    1. chkconfig telnet on
    2. /etc/init.d/xinetd restart.
    One more suggestion or recommendation would be to that you can do the same work via SSH. SSH is much better than plain telnet. Hope your problem will be solved.