Thread: Block open ports via registry

Block open ports via registry

Hi,
    I need some information on blocking the ports of windows. I had seen some open ports and unknown services working on them. This means that my system in infected with virus. I had run a scan under safe mode but still those ports are accessed by that service. As by default windows settings enable all the ports from the registry. How to block them from the core system files. Thanks in advance.

Re: Block open ports via registry

The first thing I would like to tell you about is Windows Worms Doors. WWDC can see at a glance if the ports used by worms most common are open or not on your machine, and close them with one click and utility fixing some bugs Windows and / or Internet Explorer to prevent some malware to infiltrate. But for the port thing tweaking windows registry is required. Just download it from below and run it.

Now if you want to close the ports manually then you must have a list of ports which you want. I have information about some ports and their registry tweaks. Like close port 123 which is for Windows Time. The registry tweak for it is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ W32Time. Start = dword: 4. Then comes Port 135 the string lies in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Rpc & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Ole and EnableDCOM = N.

Here is the registry keys to close ports 137, 138, 139. This are assigned to NetBios over TCP / IP lmhosts. The registry location for it is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Network \ SharedAccessConnection and to EnableControls = dword: 0. Same like this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ NetBT \ Parameters \ Interfaces \ (Tcpip_ 5DEB0DFF-89CA-47BE-B15A-0EEE30B87032) and NetbiosOptions = dword : 2.

I will recommend you to get a port blocker software. The one I know is Emsa Port Blocker. It is a simple tool which listen to the open ports and then blocks the ports which are not needed or opened by backdoors. It is a TCP blocking utility. The tool blocks all unwanted tcp access from the system. It is not actually a firewall.

It is true that the trojan opens up a port and that a security hole in your system. Via this other viruses and infection enter your computer and spoils the system. Now there are many ports. It is not possible blocking them via registry. This effect your windows registry working. So better a get a good firewall tool and secure your system. There are numerous options available.