Thread: How to unlock Bitlocker key using AD DS server 2008 R2

How to unlock Bitlocker key using AD DS server 2008 R2

Hello, I was trying to use bitlocker for client using the windows 7 ultimate, I have already stored the bitlocker key on the Active Directory server. I am not aware of creating an auto unlock for the client when the client user starts the system. What i want is whenever the client starts the system it should auto unlock bitlocker key by AD DS server 2008. Please help me to sort out this problem.
    Last edited by Gaige; 15-01-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Re: How to unlock Bitlocker key using AD DS server 2008 R2

You can use only one key for a user profile and machine. But if you switch to another user profile or another machine FveAutoUnlock is also different. Since there is no auto unlock registry and hence you can not unlock the drive on client machines at start-up automatically. I think that you will have to unlock them one by one on each machine.

I am also facing similar kind of issue with my windows 7 ultimate, My bitlocker is also saved on the AD DS server 2008 also i cannot create an auto unlock for the client when the client user starts the system. I agree with what you said Steve 123 but i think it is quite possible to create the auto unlock for the client machine. Any other ideas please help....

An auto-unlock registry key is created automatically within the following location

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FveAutoUnlock

You can only use the key on that particular machine itself. Also There is no uniform auto-unlock registry key that can be used on every machine. Hence, if you would like to unlock the drive on client machines automatically at startup, you will have to unlock it one by one.

Hi friends and thanks for replying me but i would like to tell you that i could not see HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FveAutoUnlock on the regedit client. Also tell me that whether i have to create a new key or please specify the location in more detail and also explain me how to use it.

As far as i know the key is already built-in windows 7. Now insert the locked USB device and when it asks for the password then you will have to select the Automatic unlocking on this computer. Then again search for the key again. If you still cant open it then ask somebody for assistance or visit the microsoft's official website.