Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

DNS Suffix

Networking & Security

Old 14-01-2010

DNS Suffix

Hi, im running Windows 7 & XP on a windows 2003 domain. we alos have a site to site VPN to a branch office.
my problem is with host resoloution.

my internal network (mydomain.co.uk)is on a 192.159.100.0 range and my remote office is 192.168.0.0 (myremotedoamin.com)

if i ping a host on my internal domain say pc1 it responds ok.
if i ping a subdomain on one of my internal iis servers say site1.pc1 it returns some unknown external address
like wise if i ping one of my remote hosts, its works fine, but if i ping one of my websites running at the remote office, i get the same unknown address.
e.g ping remotepc works
ping site1.remotepc does not work.

the only way i can gert it to work in the above 2 examples is by adding my local domain to the end so id have to do site1.pc1.mydomain.co.uk

this was working on XP till about 3 days ago.never got it to work under Win7
my dns servers in my IP properties point to 2 local domain controllers.
i have alos configured a forwarder which is a 3rd server collecting dns updates from my isp name servers.

any ideas on this. ive checked the dns suffix setting under DNS tab in IP properties, and unchecked them, no joy.

Thanks

Old 11-02-2010

Re: DNS Suffix

The "DNS Suffix" problem has already been solved on our forums. Just have a look at the following threads and your problem may be solved:
Old 11-02-2010

Re: DNS Suffix

There is a relevant solution by clicking on Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes name. The complete paradigm is based on the TCP/IP connection that you need to configure properly.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , ,