Thread: How to use a router as a wireless receiver?

How to use a router as a wireless receiver?

Hello there, I have two desktop computers which are running Windows XP service pack 2. I have two routers out of which one has a wireless connectivity. I want to know How to use a router as a Wireless receiver as I want to connect it to the desktop computer in other room. Is it possible to use the router as Wireless receiver? If not what I can use to connect the computer in other room? One router is a Linksys wireless router and other us Beetel wired router. Please help.

Re: How to use a router as a wireless receiver?

Any wireless router has Wired capability also, hence you can connect the computer in the other room with the wired router which inturn is connected to the Wireless router. Therefore it eliminates the need of the router being used as the Wireless router. There is no need of additional configuration which has to be done to connect two routers. You just need a cross cable to connect both the routers. If the routers have the Self crossing port then you can connect the two routers using a straight cable.

Instead of using the Wireless router as a Wireless receiver, you can use the Wireless router to create a WLan connection and then connect the desktop in some other room by using a USB receiver. Wireless Receiver are available which can be plugged in to any computer to make the computer wireless enabled. To use the USB receiver, Plug the device in any of the USB ports of the computer and let the operating system find and install the appropriate drivers for it. Once the drivers are installed the Device will be ready to use.

Use the Wireless router to create a Wireless router and then use Access points share the connection across the house. Log in to the Wireless router by entering the Default IP address of the router and then enable the Wireless capability. Then configure the Access point such that it communicates with the Wireless router. Once the Access point is configured, place it some place where the visibility is good for both the computer and the router. Now you can use a USB receiver to communicate with the Access point which in turn will communicate with the Wireless router.

There are certain software's available which enable the use of the Wireless router as wireless receivers. "Tomato" is firmware update which has to be installed on the router inorder to use the router as a Wireless receiver. Connect the router to the computer and then update the routers firmware with Tomato. The configuration which are required to be done will be provided with the firmware update. Once the firmware is updated and configured by using the given settings, you will be able to use the router as Wireless receiver. Hope the post helps.
    Last edited by Snake08; 14-01-2010 at 09:46 PM.

question Re: How to use a router as a wireless receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by Snake08 View Post
    There are certain software's available which enable the use of the Wireless router as wireless receivers. "Tomato" is firmware update which has to be installed on the router inorder to use the router as a Wireless receiver. Connect the router to the computer and then update the routers firmware with Tomato. The configuration which are required to be done will be provided with the firmware update. Once the firmware is updated and configured by using the given settings, you will be able to use the router as Wireless receiver. Hope the post helps.
    Does this work with a D-Link router? I have 2 different model numbers and would like to set it up in my house. The local cable company wants to charge me double for a second modem when all I need it for is a Videophone. Not sure if anyone knows what that is but it is a device for the deaf to communicate over the internet, much like using a webcam to communicate but it is a device on its own. I need a router or something to receive the signal from the router I already have, a D-Link dir-615. I am studying I.T. currently but we have not came to covering networks and other devices yet. Just started so I am learning a lot of the basics right now.

Quote Originally Posted by deafracer View Post
    Does this work with a D-Link router? I have 2 different model numbers and would like to set it up in my house. The local cable company wants to charge me double for a second modem when all I need it for is a Videophone. Not sure if anyone knows what that is but it is a device for the deaf to communicate over the internet, much like using a webcam to communicate but it is a device on its own. I need a router or something to receive the signal from the router I already have, a D-Link dir-615. I am studying I.T. currently but we have not came to covering networks and other devices yet. Just started so I am learning a lot of the basics right now.
    You can try to test out that tomato firmware and see if it helps any before buying another router. Also, I'm very confident an N router would help out especially if you buy a nice one such as a Linksys 300N. I have heard that by updating to the latest build, it is possible: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSla...1-firmware.bin is the file to upgrade from the dd-wrt interface.