Thread: How to share internet connection on two PC's using D-Link DGS-1005D?

How to share internet connection on two PC's using D-Link DGS-1005D?

Hello there, I have a Desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP. I have an Airtel Internet connection which is connected to my computer using a Motorola Modem. I want to share the Internet connection on the desktop computer with the Sony laptop which also has Windows XP installed on it. I have bought a Dlink DGS-1005D which I want to use to connect two computers to the cable modem to be able to share the internet connection but I dont know how to do it. So if anybody knows How to use Dlink DGS-1005D to share internet connection on two PC's?

Re: How to share internet connection on two PC's using D-Link DGS-1005D?

Most of the service providers track the Mac address of the computers to which they provide service. This is to ensure that the subscription is used only by one computer and not shared on different computers. Therefore contact your service provider and check if they allow same internet connection to be shared between two computers. If the service provider does not allow the internet connection to be shared then you wont be able to access the Internet on your laptop by using the Dlink Switch.

Contact Your ISP and then take two IP address for the two computers you want to connect to internet. Take a CAT 5 cable (straight cable) and connect the two computers to the Dlink switch. Connect the DLINK switch to the Cable modem. Now open the Network connections window and right click on the LAN icon. Select properties and then open TCP/IP utilities. Now enter the IP address which is provided by the service provider in the IP address TAB and enter DNS and the Default gateway which will also be provided by the ISP. Once all configuration is done, Click on Apply and OK. Now you will be able to share the connection between two computers.

You will not able to share the Internet connection using a Switch to the cable modem. Cable modem is not a gateway device and hence you will not be able to share the connection by using a Switch. Whenever same connection is to be shared on multiple computers we require a Gateway device. Gateway device acts like a door to access the Internet. Also the Device also should be able to route the traffic between the two computers. Using a Switch to connect two computers to cable modem will not help in sharing the connection.

Router can be used to connect two computers to the cable modem so that the same connection can be shared between many computers. Router is a gateway device and suits the need of your network. Take small router which has at least 4 ethernet ports and one DSL port. Connect the Computers to the router using a ethernet cable and assign any IP addresses to the two computers. Take care that the Ip address belong to same subnet. Now in the place of the default gateway address, enter the IP address of the Router and then Configure the DNS address by contacting your ISP. Once this settings are done, there will be no problem with sharing the same Internet connection on two computers.

Instead of using a Wired router you can use a Wireless router if the Laptop has Wireless capability. The Configuration of the Wireless router will be same as the Wired router except for two changes. 1) The Laptop will be connected to the router using Wifi and 2) You will have to log in to the router in order to switch on the Wifi capability of the router. To login to the router, enter the default IP address of the Router in the address bar of the Browser and hit on go. The login page will ask for Login and password. Once the information is entered, the configuration page will open. Now enable Wlan and save the configuration.