Thread: How to add Virtual Machines to another interface in different network

How to add Virtual Machines to another interface in different network

I'm using SME Server 7.2 on a virtual machine. So far this machine has just one ethernet interface, the vlan 1 untagged. I need to add all my VMs to 2nd interface in a different network. I'm going to add my VM network card and spread a new VLAN, my hypervisor VLANs thus manages the VM receives its 2nd interface flow not tagged him.

I wanted to know how to add at the 2nd SME interface? I'm like a standard Linux I created the ifcfg-eth1? Or I have to go through the web interface or reboot the SME will offer me to install this card?

Are there any precautions to take when adding a new interface on SME or is it like Linux Standard there will be no impact on my other current interface? Following the addition of a map there is nothing specific to do in SME ?

Re: How to add Virtual Machines to another interface in different network

The only "good" reason to add an interface to an SME is to move from "server-only" to "server&gateway". This change is realized via the console (login admin, or "su - admin" from the root login), changing the configuration (choice of 2 memory). If you do not reconfigure the SME, it will ignore the second card.

What is the impact of the transition mode gateway server and apart from the addition of a new interface? The purpose of adding my interface is to have a direct network in flat without routing without NAT between my VMs and another platform. This is not the case for my 1st interface.

If ever this new method does not satisfy us, is it possible to easily switch back to the old way? And then delete the new interface created?

SME is designed as a very specific, and while this has only two network configurations:

Server = only one network interface
    Server & gateway = one network interface 'LAN' and a network interface planned to go to Internet with NAT active firewall for specific use, and so on.

Do you foresee another use and you go into poverty?

Again, you're not in the worst case, since you have only server. So it should be possible to go through the Linux commands to add a second interface to be superbly ignored by SME. If you will still need to verify that a reconfiguration of SME does not spoil everything. In this case, I would call the new interface eth2!

I imagine that your need is a need for backup, or an action of this kind. SME then probably did not need to 'know' what you do on this interface. But, if you plan to move users in this way ... I'd leave rather then the abandonment of SME.

On the other side (but then, it is largely outside the scope of SME"), are you really sure you need a second network? I have not so many examples that I think really justify this kind of editing. Rather frequently a good idea.

How can I see if I'm having only server? If you say that the interface that I'll add is ignored, do you mean it will not work?

If you installed the server with a single card, you are necessarily "server-only". You can verify this by restarting the configuration via the admin console, as you do not change anything, it is painless (if you're sure nothing has changed) and can be interrupted at any time.

When I say ignored, its ignored: the card is not configured (not even up memory) and as pointed by Connect_Me, you want to go beyond what is provided in terms of network interface with SME.