Thread: HCL ME laptop infected by Exploit: JS/AdoStream

HCL ME laptop infected by Exploit: JS/AdoStream

There is a Exploit: JS/AdoStream on HCL ME laptop. But the issue is that when I scan my computer this threat is not detected, but when I plug any pen drive to my computer I get an alert message regarding Exploit: JS/AdoStream from my installed anti virus- McAfee. Even if I select the delete option to delete the threat it keeps coming back as and when I plug any pen drive. This trojan or virus is also loading itself in the pen drives which I plug. How can I delete this threat? Please help.

Boot in Safe Mode to discard the mailicous code

I guess you can use the Safe Mode option to scan your laptop. To boot your laptop in safe mode you should re-boot your laptop and keep tapping the function key- F8. This will then display a screen to select the booting option. Using the arrow keys select the Safe Mode booting and press Enter. When your laptop boots in Safe Mode the desktop icons will appear large in size. Scan your laptop to detect and discard the malicious code.

Safe Mode didnot delete the Exploit: JS/AdoStream

As suggested I tried the Safe Mode option, but still this threat is not getting deleted. I scanned my HCL ME in safe mode and this threat was not at all detected. But then when I started my HCL ME in normal boot mode and connected a pen-drive the alert message was again generated by McAfee. I guess I also need to change my anti virus. So also suggest me some different removal methods and also anti virus suggestion.

Use Firewall to safe guard your computer

To prevent infections from any such network threats from the internet or any unknown media one should always have a Firewall setup to safe guard their computer. You can also use a third party Firewall or the Windows Firewall itself. To turn on the Windows Firewall on Windows 7 platform follow the following steps:
    1. Click on the Start Menu on the bottom left corner of your desktop.
    2. Go to Control Panel.
    3. Enter firewall in the Search Box.
    4. Click on Windows Firewall
    5. To turn on or off the Windows Firewall click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
    6. Select Turn on Windows Firewall by clicking on it.
    7. You may also select the Block all incoming connections, including those in the list of allowed programs by checking the corresponding check box. This will block all programs including those which were also previously allowed to communicate.

Use the Schedule Boot-Time scan feature of AVAST

I had installed Avast anti virus on my computer since the day I got my computer setup two years back. I have not yet faced any issues with any virus, trojans, worms, rootkits or any such illegal programs. There is a Schedule Boot-Time Scan unique feature of Avast anti virus which is quite useful to get rid of such illegal programs which are not tracked down in normal virus scan. Download Avast anti virus and scan your computer by using the Schedule Boot-Time Scan feature.

Format Windows Drive

If the virus is not getting terminated at all. Then I recommend you to format your Windows Drive. The virus might have registered itself in the Windows Registry. And if that happens it keeps rebuilding instances of it when everytime the system re-starts. Take a back-up of all your required information. Format the Windows Drive. This terminate the virus from your system forever.