Thread: IPCop version 1.9.7 to 2 - No Future

IPCop version 1.9.7 to 2 - No Future

I am quite surprised to project management on IPCop. The official version releases 1.4.21 based on kernel 2.4.x with many modules evolved over a long time. The version promised v2.0 seems to be a long wait, about the test version 1.9.7, it does not save any error modules to extend its functionality.

Can you reassure me if the IPCop project is still followed? Have you an idea of the timing of release of IPCop v2?

Do you know of available modules for version 1.9.7 to:
    - To make the IP Blocking (Bannish)?
    - To the site by filtering out (with basic filtering proxy sites ranked by criteria such as SquiGuard)?

In the event that IPCop does not satisfy such a need kernel 2.6.x generation, other distros free firewalling they are in better condition monitored?

Re: IPCop version 1.9.7 to 2 - No Future

IPCOP is a solution always followed. For your requests:

1. What do you want to IPBANISH?
    IPCOP can very well block IP addresses.
    Either you configure settings manually with iptables in the rc.local file and others, or when you pass by the BOT addons, GUI (strongly recommended).

2. For the filtering site out, you can use the integrated proxy.
    The setting then will do so with ease and ADVPROXY urlfilter.
    You'll find them on the net searching with Google, they are easily accessible.

For other linux firewall I can hardly answer, I do not know them all. PFSense also appears at this moment a little sleep, but this was expected. An important update is expected later. It is in preparation. One of the interests of pfsense is that it has a kernel and latest drivers, to better support the latest hardware.

Otherwise, nothing prevents you from offering your services to assist in the development of IPCOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemog View Post
    IPCOP is a solution always followed.
    Perfect! You reassured me

1. What do you want to IPBANISH?
    IPCOP can very well block IP addresses.
    Either you configure settings manually with iptables in the rc.local file and others, or when you pass by the BOT addons, GUI (strongly recommended). [/QUOTE]
    I wanted to avoid going down in iptables rules just to keep the interest of the solution by web page. I'll try version 3.0.0 - Build 3 hoping what passes for IPCop 1.9.7.

2. For the filtering site out, you can use the integrated proxy.
    The setting then will do so with ease and ADVPROXY urlfilter.
    You'll find them on the net searching with Google, they are easily accessible.
    For advproxy and urlfilter, malheusement these solutions seem to concern only for the version of IPCop 1.4.21 and earlier ...

For other linux firewall I can hardly answer, I do not know them all. PFSense also appears at this moment a little sleep, but this was expected. An important update is expected later. It is in preparation. One of the interests of pfsense is that it has a kernel and latest drivers, to better support the latest hardware.
    Well thank you for these responses are not little fuller!

I skipped the fact that you speak of version 1.9.7. The latest official stable version is 1.4.21 IPCOP. Where have you seen this version 1.9.7? I think you're wrong.

I do not feel that we should worry more that this monitoring project in Ipcop. The preparation of a major release is always a huge task. Basically, it follows its path. Nor does it need fear the wrath of God knows whom.

True, this industry has used increasingly to release new versions of software relatively close. Is this really still relevant?

Then I think we should be pragmatic, as open source elsewhere. If a version is available provided the expected features, use it. If this is not the case considering an alternative. Ipcop is a solution strongly "typed". The role of predefined interfaces. It is very difficult, if not risky to make him do anything other than that for which it is intended and it is very good. If ipcop does not fit you must use something else.

Regarding pfsense, it does not seem to sleep at all. The 1.2.3 RC3 is out. It contains significant changes. The V2 is on the way and the team announced clearly that one should not expect the schedule. The reason for the 1.2.3 has been explained.

Finally I do not see a very good eye out for a new release of a firewall every 6 months. It's just the opposite of what we need in this area than anywhere else: reliability and stability.

With pfsense, Ipcop as we have been accustomed to final versions is very stable, it takes time and does not go as we would like you. Certainly. But it's not only disadvantages.

So in summary, clearly the philosophy of open source is to be applied to the world of firewalling

I dare not imagine the workload required to manage such projects. I used IPCop 1.4.21 with SquidGuard + IP blocker which suited me well. I wanted to gave a "helping young" side by taking advantage of kernel patches in terms of security that could make a 2.6.x kernel.

For the moment I'm trying Pfense for the sake of change a little - knowing that the concept of the load balancing it can offer much interested. It seems more complete and complex as that of IPCop.

Anyway... in the worst case if I am having problems restoring my config (simple access HTTP/FTP over the WAN to the DMZ, I'd switch on to IPCop 1.4.21 ... I suppose, it will not kill me!