Thread: Cannot Network on W7 and XP

Cannot Network on W7 and XP

I have a Desktop PC with Windows 7 Home Premium and am unable to network it with my Laptop running XP. My PC connects to my router then my modem. While my Laptop is connected to my router through WiFi. Both are connect to the router and the internet is working properly for both computers but no matter what I do I am unable to see my Laptop from my PC or vise versa.

Re: Cannot Network on W7 and XP

Try the following steps :

1. Simply right-click My Computer and click Properties.
    2. Select the "Computer Name" and click the "Change" button.
    3. Change the computer name to whatever you want, hence the name PC1. Change the workgroup to the Working Group. (The workgroup name must be the same on both computers)
    4. Click OK.

5. Go to Start> My Computer> My Network Places> Network Connections.
    Click on your wireless adapter and select Properties. Go to wireless tab and click the Advanced button. Select Computer to computer (ad hoc) network option.

6. If you get a window with an SSID box, you can specify the network name on it.

7. Now go to your wireless adapter> Properties> Wireless Networks and click Add Preferred Networks. Then configure the TCP/IP connection settings

8. Try the same thing on your laptop

You make sure that you have file and print sharing enabled on your laptop. Reboot all the machine , the workstations and see whether it starts showing up. You can also see the troubleshooting in following forums:

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1113474.htm

Cannot Network Windows 7 with Windows XP

Windows 7 network card not recognized

Windows 7 Network Missing User Name

Done all network cabling and homegroup is set up. If your network having systems working on different versions of Windows, put all computers in the same workgroup.

If system is working on Windows XP are part of your network, then it is very essential to use the same workgroup name for all of the systems on your network. Note that the default workgroup name are not the identical in all versions of Windows.

Change the workgroup name on a system which are working on Windows XP Click on the Start button, do right-click on My Computer, and then click Properties.

In System Properties, click on the Computer Name tab to view the workgroup name. To change the name, click on the Change, enter the new name in Computer name, and then click OK.

In Windows 7, you have to verify the workgroup by the control panel then click on the System. Now click on the Advanced system settings at the left side of this window.

Now System Properties will going to display. You can able to view the workgroup name used in your Windows 7 computer.