Thread: System infected with W32/MoFei.worm

System infected with W32/MoFei.worm

Hello friends,

I am using Windows XP as my operating system and everything was working fine till yesterday but today when i started my HP laptop i got an message which stated that my system is being infected with W32/MoFei.worm, my antivirus is not capable of removing W32/MoFei.worm from my laptop. Does anyone know how to remove W32/MoFei.worm.

Information about W32/MoFei.worm

W32/MoFei.worm is a worm whose work is to self-replicate recursively, meaning that infected systems spread the virus to other systems, which then propagate the virus further. At the same time they try to gain administrative rights by using a dictionary-style attack, trying usernames like "admin" or "administrator" and passwords like "admin" or "123456". Beyond such weak usernames/passwords many can use the credentials of the local user.

If you really want to remove W32/MoFei.worm from your system then i would suggest you to install Macfee anti virus on your system because it is capable of removing worm, trojan, adware, malware, rootkits, worms, trojans, keyloggers from you system. I am sure this would definetly solve your problem.

Thanks for replying me i have tried to run Macfee but that also didn't helped me a lot when i asked my friends about it they told me format all my drives and install a fresh copy of Operating system, which i don' wanna do. Does anyone has any idea where i can remove W32/MoFei.worm from my system.

If you really want to remove W32/MoFei.worm from your system then you need to click on start got run option and type regedit, then registry window would get open, now browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entry, over there you will find HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SCardDrv\ImagePath = <Windows system32>\LASVR32.EXE -v delete this entry and close your registry editor. Now check it out W32/MoFei.worm is being removed from your system.

If you really want to remove W32/MoFei.worm from your system then reboot your computer and press F8 to start your windows in safe mode and now run VirusScan and choose to clean all infected files. Restart the computer. Now try to find and delete the following files which would be located in startup folder.

• net share c$ /delete
    • net share d$ /delete
    • net share e$ /delete
    • net share ipc$ /delete
    • net share admin$ /delete