Thread: Infected by PWS-Zbot.gen.ab trojan

Infected by PWS-Zbot.gen.ab trojan

I am using the Dell Studio 15 laptop with configuration: Intel CoreTM i7-820QM Mobile Processor 1.74GHz, 4Gb RAM , 512GN HDD, Intel HD Graphics 256MB, Windows XP. I use the internet on daily for downloading, surfing and also for playing online games. I am using the AVG free version of antivirus. And recently it showed the alert that your computer is infected by PWS-Zbot.gen.ab. . I don't what how to overcome this infection(i.e trojan horse)?? and how much it will infect my laptop?? Please help me out.

Re: Infected by PWS-Zbot.gen.ab trojan

According to me, the infection you found is an trojan horse. And they are not like viruses, so they don't self-replicate. They actually get spread manually, mostly in the premises of that they are beneficial or wanted. The most common installation methods is through the distribution channels like e-mail, malicious websites, IRC, P2P networks, etc. Install the licensed version of antivirus and remove this trojan horse. Hope your problem get solved.

There are many threat aliases for PWS:Win32/Zbot.gen like Infostealer.Banker.C, Generic PWS.y, Trojan.Spy.ZBot.PE ,etc. This all comes under one category and behaves also in similar manner. This trojan horse are very smart and not easy to remove. Install the licensed version of McAfee and then full scan the machine and remove the files infected this type of trojan. Before scanning and removing it, do disable the restore settings and backup the hard disk

The PWS-Zbot.gen.ab is a tpye of trojan horse and it has alias:TROJ_ZBOT.US, Mal/Behav-066, Mal/Zbo, PWS:Win32/Zbot.PK , etc. This type of trojans comes as a file downloaded from a remote URL. And it gets executed it sends a copy of itself to the system folder. After doing this, they will make a folder with System And Hidden name, where it sends the non-malicious files. They also modify the registry files and corrupts them also. In order to be safe from this type of trojans, install the register version of AVG and avoid them.

The PWS-Zbot.gen.ab is type of trojan horse which comes from the downloaded file from remote URL and when this files gets execute it makes malware and drops the files below:
    %system%\sdra64.exe -copy of itself
    %system%\lowsec\local.ds - information files
    %system%\lowsec\user.ds
    %system%\lowsec\user.ds.lll
    This trojan horse will make your computer slower and occupy the memory space also. Turn off the system restore option and install the licensed version of AVG and update it fully and do scanning and remove the trojan.

Firstly remove the current AVG antivirus and install the McAfee register version of antivirus. And with upadated DATs and the Engine will be able to detect and remove this trojan horse. This trojans runs in the process list and may be in files and registry entries and maybe also network activity with servers. Also note that you should not trust familiar or safe file icons, particularly when received from Peer to Peer clients, Internet Relay Chat, e-mails or other media where users can share files. Hope you will able to fix the problem.
    Last edited by Big Fish; 11-01-2010 at 01:17 PM.