Thread: SYSVOL sharing problem on Windows 2003

SYSVOL sharing problem on Windows 2003

I had been running Windows Server 2003 on my machine. Just few days back i had installed an additional DC for primary domain. Now the problem is that after adding an additional DC, Sysvol folder doesn't seems to be shared. If i share the folder manually means after restarting the server, the sysvol share removed automatically. So, can any body tell me that how to do i resolve SYSVOL sharing problem on Windows Server 2003? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: SYSVOL sharing problem on Windows 2003

If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Underneath the SVSVOL share is also a Scripts directory that contains down-level scripts and policy files for down-level clients (Windows 9x and Windows NT). Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. You might remember this folder from Windows NT as the NETLOGON share.

Missing netlogon and sysvol shares typically occur on replica domain controllers in an existing domain, but may also occur on the first domain controller in a new domain. If you had to seize the RID Master role then you should rebuild the failed computer. If it was an Exchange server you have more work to do. When a domain controller is demoted, if it is not the last domain controller in the domain, it performs a final replication and then transfers the roles to another domain controller.

FRS can also replicate content between Windows Server 2003-based servers that are hosting the same fault-tolerant DFS roots or child node replicas. When FRS activates itself to replicate contents of SYSVOL to other domain controller it searches registry to find the correct path of SYSVOL. NTDS Connections are one way connections used by the Directory Service to replicate the Active Directory, and the File Replication Service (FRS) to replicate the file system portion of system policy in the SYSVOL folder.

If the domain controller is a global catalog, that role is not transferred to another domain controller. The server was not an exchange server, it was simply a backup AD server in case the primary crashed. In this case, you must manually select the check box in Active Directory Sites and Services Manager for another domain controller to take over the role. This share is still here, just in a different place than before. Usually the SYSVOL share is located in %systemroot%\Sysvol\sysvol, and NETLOGON share is found under %systemroot%\Sysvol\sysvol\&amplt;DOMAIN&ampgt;\Scripts.

You need to make sure that TAM is a GC, but other than that, demoting USM should have no affect on permissions on any other server. TAM will take over all DC responsibility. The second reason for the SYSVOL share's special status is the File Replication Service (FRS) that's configured to replicate the contents of your SYSVOL share to all other domain controllers in the domain. This way, all domain controllers in a given domain have the same scripts and Group Policy files.