Thread: What is MTU ? How to change a router's MTU Settings ?

What is MTU ? How to change a router's MTU Settings ?

Hi,

I've got DSL now unlocked 6000, but "only" one downstream from ~ 630kb / s are missing. According to some Internet test, I have a MTU value of 1400 How can I increase this value? I have a Linksys Router. Can tell me how to change a router's MTU Settings ?? And also tell me what is MTU ???

re: What is MTU ? How to change a router's MTU Settings ?

MTU - It corresponds to the maximum transmission unit. Specifies the maximum packet size permitted for Internet transmission. The default value is Manual that is selected, and lets you enter the maximum packet size to be transmitted. The recommended size, which is introduced in the field Size (Size) is 1492. This value must be in the range from 1200 to 1500. For the router select the optimal MTU for your Internet connection, select Auto (Automatic).

I recommend you try the following parameters:

-tab 'Wireless> Basic Wireless Settings', experiment with different channels, including: 6-1-11-13, and see that you get the best result.

tab-Wireless> Advanced Wireless settings, change the interval has a 50 instead of 100.

-in the same tab, try different values 'TX Rate Control' (speed) and try ... 48,36,24

Also, in the 'Settings' under host name and name of domain, you have MTU.

We advise you to experiment by changing the parameter MTU. Start with the manual switch in 1492. Lower then that value 10 in 10 by making a test for each value, without going below 1400, to find the correct values. Try between others 1482, 1472 and 1452.

Try the following steps to change a router's MTU Settings

Open your web browser and enter the IP address of the router. The default settings for a Linksys router is 192.168.1.1. Enter your admin username and password for the router. By default username for Linksys is blank and the password is admin.

Click the Advanced tab, then click on Filters link. Within this screen, scroll down to the MTU option, and select the checkbox Enable.

Enter an MTU size in the text box. This value should be between 1400 and 1492. A good value to start is 1454. Change the value as needed until the resolution of network problems. Click Save Settings when done.

I suggest you to download Dr. TCP to otimize your MTU Settings. It is limited to the essentials. With Dr. TCP, you can write your optimum MTU and Rwin values in the right place in the Windows registry without having to wade through thousands of registry entries must. The practical tool is free and requires no installation.

The Maximum Transmission Unit is a network standard that indicates the size of packets to walk the interaction network path. Data packets are bits of computer data sent from the source to the destination. The MTU determines the size of these packages, and the size should be consistent on all devices on the network. The OFA MTU size of the network is determined by the protocol, and the home of many networks is Ethernet-based office. You can adjust the MTU setting on some computers on a network has problems, but the rest of the network is unaffected. Normally, you can change the configuration of an access router MTU PC web browser.