Thread: Manually configure port for Gaming

Manually configure port for Gaming

Hi,
    How to configure a specific port for gaming. I have installed multiplayer games in my office. Now when I run the game or tries to scan for the servers firewall blocks them. I don't want to disable my firewall because that will hamper my security. But if there is no way then I have to do that also. I need some steps for doing. This is not for LAN but also for online gaming servers. Please show me appropriate way in case of open port. All the PC on internet have Windows Vista. Thanks in advance.

Re: Manually configure port for Gaming

The easy way will be to turn off the firewall and UAC of Windows Vista. Because due to security reason the firewall in Windows does not allow any unknown incoming. This is term as a security breach. So it blocks the application. In rare cases it pop a message for it. Otherwise you can add a exception for the program. Do one think open your firewall and under exception tab add your game. Then you can play that on the network.

Most applications, games and P2P services that use Internet connection to manage data packets, required in almost all occasions, you have to open specific ports on the router for each application. The arrival of the new router for opening the ports from the browser, it usually accessed from IP addresses 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and then, enter the user name and password to enter the control panel. Therefore, open router ports, depending on the model you use, can sometimes be very unintuitive and complex.

To open a port you does need to have a detail knowledge of networking. The same can be done using a third party port forwarding tool. The program is called Wireshark and is in Spanish, which is proper and thanks to better understand the texts of the wizard. Just download that and install. It will give you access to forward port without changing your security settings. Hamachi also does the same.

Yes Wireshark has the advantage that includes a database with over 600 models of router, which are growing each update. The system that we use from having to log the router and open ports by hand, and choosing our router is used, selecting the applications you'll use and let the program open ports on those applications in the router as Windows Firewall. Wireshark comes with a database of online games and also most used P2P programs most used.

I will show how to forward a port via router. First open Wireshark and Spanish will. Having done this, if your router is password protected, make any user data to the main screen. Then click on Tools and then on and how to start, opening the port management assistant. In this wizard, the first step is to select our model of router that is accessed from the point two. Failure Once selected your router, enter a Wireshark network adapter which must access to our router and enable IP. Now this is the time to establish that we want to open ports, or for applications should open the ports the program. So to open the ports of Emule for example, only select Emule tab and click on Add. If you're not seeing the application, we can always open the ports manually selecting and introducing AddCustomer we want to open specific port and can add a name.