Thread: How to configure a Wireless Router With Time Warner Cable ?

How to configure a Wireless Router With Time Warner Cable ?

Hi,

I have Time Warner Cable Internet connection, and I only got a wireless router. I have not hooked it yet, but when I will connect the router and use on 2 computers, But I'm not sure whether a separate IP is assigned or not. How to configure a Wireless Router With Time Warner Cable ? Any thoughts?

Re: How to configure a Wireless Router With Time Warner Cable ?

You have connected 2 IP addresses for your home local network, but only the ISP gives you, which is assigned to your router / outgoing connection (if the not mistaken). You can connect as many as computers that are connect to your LAN, it will perfectly work.

A standard router will have an "input port is an RJ-45 (size of the Ethernet cable) and multiple output that are also ports of RJ-45 size. You only have a option to plug the RJ-45 cable from the cable-modem directly into one of the "output" ports, then put an ethernet cable from another port directly in the one of the computer's port. No guarantees but it might work.

You will have no problem to configure a Wireless Router With Time Warner Cable, routers really doesn't need any software to configure, you simply connect to the router via the browser you can do so easily by your own. Connect the cable modem Ethernet cable into the WAN port on the router, then plug an Ethernet cable into any of the 4 LAN ports and the computer, that you will use to configure the router.

Before beginning, disconnect the power cord to your DSL modem. Then plug the wireless router to your DSL Internet modem. If your computer is typically connected directly to the modem, use the network cable to connect the router and modem. The cable must be connected to the input of your modem, connected to the port of Internet routers. The port on the router labeled WLAN, WAN, Internet, or something similar. This step takes the wireless router between your computer and modem, allowing all incoming and outgoing signals becomes a wireless transmission.

To configure a Wireless Router With Time Warner Cable, there is no need to set any "code". All you have to configure the wireless on the router as a rule. Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button for 15 seconds with power.

* Turn off modem, router, computer, etc.
    * Unplug cable modem and router
    * Plug in the modem to the router's WAN / Internet connection.
    * Connect the computer to one of router's LAN / Network ports.
    * Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    * Turn on the router, wait two minutes.
    * Then boot your computer.

Experiencing extremely slow download speeds through Linksys WRT54GS2 with Time Warner Cable 10Mbps service.
    Speed is over 20Mbps when MacBook Pro is directly wired to cable modem (however this set up is not practical for me).

This was an issue previously with Time Warner before I left Manhattan 2 yrs ago for school.
    No issues using same hardware on school LAN.
    No issues using same hardware with Optimum Online (Cablevision, Long Island).
    Time Warner Road Runner is the only ISP that has caused this to occur.

Cycling modem/router relieves speed issue temporarily but it returns after a few minutes.
    Everything slows, Firefox, Safari, Skype transfers, you name it.
    Tried tinkering with MTU and beacon settings as well, did not help.

iPhone is able to connect at higher download speed to router though is still affected.

Been searching for an answer for weeks, Time Warner customer support did not help.

Quote Originally Posted by ddcg1855 View Post
    Experiencing extremely slow download speeds through Linksys WRT54GS2 with Time Warner Cable 10Mbps service.
    Speed is over 20Mbps when MacBook Pro is directly wired to cable modem (however this set up is not practical for me).

This was an issue previously with Time Warner before I left Manhattan 2 yrs ago for school.
    No issues using same hardware on school LAN.
    No issues using same hardware with Optimum Online (Cablevision, Long Island).
    Time Warner Road Runner is the only ISP that has caused this to occur.

Cycling modem/router relieves speed issue temporarily but it returns after a few minutes.
    Everything slows, Firefox, Safari, Skype transfers, you name it.
    Tried tinkering with MTU and beacon settings as well, did not help.

iPhone is able to connect at higher download speed to router though is still affected.

Been searching for an answer for weeks, Time Warner customer support did not help.
    I'm having the exact same issue. I'll pull 28Mbps down when directly connected to the modem. However when connected to the WiFi router, I get between 14 and 15Mbps. That's standing within 5 feet of the router.

I called Time Warner support this morning, and they walked me through all that I'd already tested, then told me to call Linksys, and upgrade my Firmware on my router. I upgraded my Firmware, with no change. I've reset my router and started from scratch. Two laptops, two Android phones and two tablets all agree, the WiFi signal is strong but the speed sucks.

Did you finally figure anything out? I don't have the money to go get a new router, so I'm looking for any kind of "optimal" setup that I may be missing.

I think that there is something wrong with the router itself as you have tried out the possible solutions by now, What you can do now is, arrange one router and then check the same with the modem that you are having and then see if it is making any difference in the speed or not.