Thread: Infected by TROJ_FAKEAV.PTO malware

Infected by TROJ_FAKEAV.PTO malware

I am using desktop computer at home with configuration: Intel Pentium Dual Core, 3GB RAM, 256GB HDD, Windows XP, 16X DVD-ROM Drive,Intel GMA X4500HD. I use internet ion daily basis for downloading movies, songs, etc., for surfing and mailing. When i got computer 1years ago i got McAfee antivrus with 3months subscription, and now expired. Recently i got alert/virus alert i.e TROJ_FAKEAV.PTO is detected. I don't how much risky is this and what damage it can do to me? Please help me to fix this problem.

Re: Infected by TROJ_FAKEAV.PTO malware

The threat detected by your computer is type of trojan horse. This type of Trojan may came by bundled with malware packages as a malware component. It sends copies of itself and also creates registry entries to enable its automatic execution,so every time system startup and it gets executed automatically. Once executed, it displays the graphic user interface (GUI) in the affected system. My suggestion would be to buy register/licensed version of McAfee and remove this threat, otherwise there can be no solution to it.

This (TROJ_FAKEAV.PTO) is a very wild type of trojan horse. It mostly effects on following operating system: Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and Server 2003. It brings the following copy's of itself: %User Temp%\{malware filename}.exe (Note: %User Temp% is the current user's Temp folder, which is usually C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Local Settings\Temp on Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003). My suggestion would be to install any licensed version of anti virus through which threat can be removed. Don't use expired version of antivirus, if using internet on daily basis.

This malware( TROJ_FAKEAV.PTO) is very risky and dangerous to keep on computer. The TROJ_FAKEAV.PTO trojan is one the FAKEAV variants riding on the impending eruption of the Mayon Volcano. The FAKEAV variant's comes onto the systems from http://{BLOCKED}puter22.com, which redirects to http://{BLOCKED}computer.com, where they will be prompted to download setup_build6_195.exe (detected as TROJ_FAKEAV.PTO). This is how this trojan comes into your machine. Install any licensed verison of antivirus it will surely remomve this trojan hrose.

Firstly would suggest you that always use the licensed full version of antivirus when you are accessing the internet on daily basis and also update the antivirus also daily. To remove the trojan horse(TROJ_FAKEAV.PTO) you found on your machine follow the step below:
    1] Identify the infected file by TROJ_FAKEAV.PTO and terminate that files.
    2] Remove/Delete the registry value( HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce).
    3] And now do scanning of your computer with antivirus product to delete files detected as TROJ_FAKEAV.PTO
    Hope you will be able to fix the problem.

The malware you have detected on your computer is one of the trojan horse type. This Trojan Horse are very common now days, but yet difficult to delete them. This can also be called as type of virus that attempts to make the user think that it is a beneficial application. The trojan horse is also capable of stealing important information from your computer. And to remove this such high risk virus you need to install licensed version of antivirus. Always use good antivirus while using internet, as it can protect your computer from such high risk kind of trojan's.