Thread: Infected with Zapchast.EX malware

Infected with Zapchast.EX malware

I have a desktop computer at home with configuration: Intel Core i7 965 Extreme 3.20Ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 395+ Quad-SLI 4GB (2 x 2GB), 3GB DDR3, 512Gb HDD, Logitech G51 5.1 Surround and Windows XP Home edition. I use internet on daily basis for surfing, emailing, downloading, etc. And i use trail version of AVG anti virus. Few days back, i got alert on computer that Zapchast.EX is detected. I don't have any knowledge about this and think its malware. Please tell me how to overcome this problem.

Re: Infected with Zapchast.EX malware

My knowledge says that Zapchast.EX is a type backdoor which is made to connect with IRC channels and wait for instructions which will allow then to attack on user, to access and control the computer remotely. Zapchast.EX reaches to the computer via an email message about which seems to contain a Christmas card or any card attached, so this backdoor threat can be easily recognized. It think for detecting this you should have proper antivirus which has good e-scanning function.

The Zapchast.EX is type of trojan. This trojan gets spread by visiting or seeing a fake christmas card. So, when user view this card, they get a message telling to install a latest version of the flashplayer which is really the malware(Trojan). So, in this(i.e Zapchast.EX backdoor trojan) enters into your system/machine. Once your machine is infected by Zapchast.EX, it makes connections with many IP addresses, awaiting orders and gathering user information. Now onwards avoid visiting or seeing the unknown greeting cards.
    Last edited by Spyrus; 04-01-2010 at 11:03 AM.

According to me, Zapchast.EX (backdoor trojan) stays connected to IRC channels and waits for instructions that will allow them to attack on user, to access and control the computer remotely. The Zapchast.EX makes the directories to infect your machine and directories like C:\WINDOWS\Temp\spoolsv or C:\WINDOWS\Temp\spoolsv\download or C:\WINDOWS\Temp\spoolsv\logs or C:\WINDOWS\Temp\spoolsv\sounds. And inside this directories it also makes many file like SPOOLSV.EXE, A.REG, RUN.BAT,etc. It is consider as medium level of threat and to avoid this always use full licensed version of anti virus.
    Last edited by Snake08; 04-01-2010 at 11:13 AM.

I would like to give detail information about this malware. The common name is Zapchast.EX and technical name is Bck/Zapchast.EX. Threat level is medium and type is backdoor. This malware gets infected on Windows XP/2003/2000/NT/ME/95/. The Zapchast.EX threat effects are like this ti will saty in connect with IRC channel and be waiting for remote commands ordered by the attacking user. The Zapchast.EX is attached to greeting/graphical cards which tells you to install latest flash player and enters into your machine.

To check out rather your computer is affected by Zapchast.EX malware, go through the following options:
    ->Carry out a full scan of your computer using any antivirus, after checking that it is updated. If you are using free version of antivirus, maybe it might not detect it. I would suggest you to buy register version of Panda Activescan
    ->Now, scan the computer with Panda ActiveScan, Panda Security's free, online scanner, which will quickly detect any possible viruses.
    The Panda Antivirus or Panda ActiveScan detects Zapchast.EX during the scanning, and it can automatically tell you to delete it.