Thread: Error 666: Modem not connected or is not functioning

Error 666: Modem not connected or is not functioning

I have desktop computer (Dell Studio One 19) and using it from last couple of years. Its configuration is : Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Dual Channel DDR2, Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9200,HDD of 160GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s ,Windows XP. Mainly it is being used for gaming purpose and internet purpose also. I access internet on daily basis. Recently i came across an error i.e ERROR 666. I don't wants the problem, the error also shows that modem is connected or it is not functioning. Please help me out to overcome this error.

Re: Error 666: Modem not connected or is not functioning

According to me, error 666 is consider under a dial-up networking(DUNS) errors code. In latest versions of OS(XP, Vista or Windows 7), some of the errors can also come for connections other than traditional dial-up modem connections: they may come with DSL or Virtual private networking connections that does not have/involve dial-up. This DUNS Errors can be resolved by making the properties correct for your dial-up networking connections. Hope you would able to fix the problem.

Recently i also got the same error i.e error 666 and fixed it by following steps given below:
    1] Click on Start, then click on Shut Down and wait for 1 minute(this means it will reboot your computer).
    2] Turn computer on.
    3] Try connecting Again.
    If this do not solve the problem, then you will have to reinstall either your modem or windows networking protocols. Take the modem drivers CD as well as your Windows CD and install the drivers of it. I would also suggest to run a virus scan.

I was also getting this Error 666 and also got solution for it, but i was using Windows 98. This error says that your modem (or other device connected) is not functioning. The solution for this error i got was that the telephon.ini file in my \%systemroot%\ folder was been corrupted. So i had reinstall that file and rebooted my computer and then error went away. But this was in my Windows 98case, don't know about Windows Xp case. Try what i have done and check weather it solves your problem or not.

In order to get rid out of this error or problem follow the step given below:
    1] Unsure that correct modem is selected in the dialer.

2] Unsure that there are no multiple modems are been installed.

3] Do uninstall of modem and then again reinstall it.

4] Unsure that no other programs/software(i.e Fax software, Supervoice, etc) are using your modem.

5] Click together on Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and if you see RNAAPP loaded in processes running, then go to the RNAAPP fix page.

6] Send to manufacturer.
    Hope this steps will allow you to fix the problem.

My knowledge says that If this kind of message comes and you have an external modem, then it is because of one of these reasons:
    ->May be modem is switched off.
    ->May be modem is not correctly/securely connected to your computer.
    ->The serial cable may have the incorrect specifications that required by
    the dialup connection. If this happens all of a sudden, try reinstalling
    the modem.
    ->May be modem has gone through a hardware glitch. So, turn off the
    modem, wait for 50-60 seconds, and then restart the modem.
    Hope this could solve your problem.