Thread: TCP Port 445 sharing issue on Windows Xp

TCP Port 445 sharing issue on Windows Xp

I had been running Windows Xp on my machine. Now the problem is that VPN Connections works but cannot Map Network Drive on Windows Xp. I would like to see shares on a windows AD domain from site A to site B and vice versa. I noticed that I can not telnet to port 445 from site A to site B and vice versa. Both sites are on the same AD domain and ad and dns replication is occurring without issues. So, can any one tell me that how do i resolve TCP Port 445 sharing issue on Windows Xp? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: TCP Port 445 sharing issue on Windows Xp

TCP Port 445 may use a defined protocol to communicate depending on the application. A protocol is a set of formalized rules that explains how data is communicated over a network. While ports 137-139 were known technically as "NBT over IP", port 445 is "SMB over IP". (SMB is known as "Samba" and stands for "Server Message Blocks".)

At its simplest NetBIOS on your LAN may just be a necessary evil. NetBIOS on your WAN or over the Internet, however, is an enormous security risk. I configure RRAS server on w2k3 server. It work sometime but sometimes it's takes long time and then connections failed. I get error message " TCP Port 445 " need to configure from other side. which is server side, there is no firewall enable. I need to resolve this issue, soon as possible.

Only thing I Install/Configure RRAS from server side and VPN Install/Configure client side. On all the machines connected to the LAN you should create the same users/passwd's combi's. Then login at PC1 with your normal username, and connect to PC2 wich has the same username in its library. It takes long to map the drive, then get error message for the port. If you are using a multi-homed machine i.e. more than 1 network card, then you should disable NetBIOS on every network card, or Dial-Up Connection under the TCP/IP properties, that is not part of your local network.

TCP port 445 uses the Transmission Control Protocol. TCP is one of the main protocols in TCP/IP networks. You will get an event in your event log if you do not also disable the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service service. You can Disable this service in Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services if desired. Whereas the IP protocol deals only with packets, TCP enables two hosts to establish a connection and exchange streams of data.

Port 445 provides SMB over TCP. The port 445 is commonly used for file-sharing. It connects the user to the server and vice versa. If you use open file shares (including sharing of printers, etc) on your local network (LAN), then you should be using a firewall such that your local file shares are not accessible from the internet. The port 445 is a service message block used for file sharing on Windows XP, and other SAMBA-related connections. The port 445 is a typical file transfer security protocol to monitor the risk of overflow and program redundancy in sharing files. It is used by various operating systems to give security options at high levels. Connecting to open file shares is likely the easiest and most common hack on the internet and yet one of the most effective for malicious activities like identity theft or installing RATs (Remote Access Trojans) to take control of systems remotely.