Thread: FTP issue with port 21 on Windows Xp

FTP issue with port 21 on Windows Xp

I had been running Windows Xp as my operating system. I have a cisco 2821 router that is causing problems with FTP. I can connect to my server through Filezilla and then get this error. I uninstalled filezilla and then installed version 2.2.9. I set up the ftp manager and enabled passive mode. All firewall and anti-virus are off. I connect to the server and cannot see the files on the server. How do i resolve FTP issue with port 21 on Windows Xp? Does any body knows about it? Please help me out to resolve the above issue.

Re: FTP issue with port 21 on Windows Xp

What kind of server? If firewall is off on BOTH ends then you do not need to clear it. You may find that only certain IP ranges are allowed to connect. Make sure the login credentials are correct and NTFS permissions allow access.

Make sure you are using Passive Mode to connect. All of (mt) Media Temple services require the use of passive mode. You could check to see if the FTP port is blocked through your routers, port 21. Try using a different FTP client. There are plenty of free FTP applications you can download and use for testing purposes.

Try using SFTP over port 22. This makes a secure connection that is preferred by many. If you are going to use SFTP you will need to make sure SSH is enabled for the user. This means that if the server is behind a router doing NAT/PAT or a firewall passive mode does not work, if the client is behind a NAT/firewall then active mode does not work. If both are behind different NAT/firewalls.