Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Need Lan/Wireless Choice on my Computer

Networking & Security

Old 29-12-2009

Need Lan/Wireless Choice on my Computer

My Desktop computer is connected to other computers of my colony on a LAN. I want to access Internet through my computer using Wifi. I tried to access Internet with Wifi while the LAN was working but it did not work. Only LAN or Wifi internet works on my computer. I want both WiFi and LAN to work simultaneously on my computer. Is there any way in which both of them will run simultaneously? Please help

Old 29-12-2009

Re: Need Lan/Wireless Choice on my Computer

There is no way in which you can access both at the same time. Both LAN and the WIFI use the same Network Interface card. Hence when one technology is using the NIC the other cant use it. Whenever you want to access internet, Turn on the Wifi and disable the Local Area Network. Whenever you want to share some data on the Local Area Network, then turn off the Wifi and then enable the Local Area Network. Hope this post helps.
Old 29-12-2009

We the current configuration of your network, you can access only wifi or LAN at a time. You will need to disable the LAN before turning on the Wifi to be able to access the Internet. If you dont want to disable the LAN completely then change default gateway address and the preferred DNS address. By changing the default gateway and preferred DNS you will be able access internet while the LAN is enabled. To change the default gateway and Preferred DNS, Right click on the LAN and Select properties. Inside properties, select TCP/Ip properties. Now change the Preferred DNS and default gateway and save the settings.
Old 29-12-2009

If you are having a Wifi Router to access internet, then you will be able to access internet through LAN itself. Just plug in the LAN cable(which comes from your LAN) in to the Ethernet port of the router. Now take other lan cable and connect the computer and the router with it. Now you will be able to access the internet through a wired medium without using the Wifi. Just change the Default gateway of your computer to the IP address of the Router. After changing the default gateway you will be able to access Internet without any issue.
Old 29-12-2009

As you need to use both Wifi and LAN at the same time on the same computer, you will need an extra Network card. By adding one more network card you will be able to access Internet using Wifi by keeping the LAN enabled. You will just have to configure one Network card to work on LAN (by entering its IP address, default gateway, and preferred DNS) and other you will have to configure for using WIFI. Take care while assigning IP addresses to both the NIC's as duplication of IP will lead to serious trouble.
Old 29-12-2009

Thank you all for replying to my post so quickly. I will try and get another Network card and will attach it to my computer. Will also configure one of them to work for LAN and one for accessing Internet only by using Wifi. I highly appreciate the help you guyz provided. Thank you once again.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , ,