Thread: Linksys Router Problems

Linksys Router Problems

I have had a Linksys Vonage Router with Internet phone. It was connected to a Comcast Modem until couple of days ago. I have Cable for internet and have a cable modem that is brand new provided by the ISP. Now the problem is that I will have internet for a while then it get disconnected automatically. When i try to connected to the router, i don't get internet, but all the lights on the modem are shown on. So, can any body tell me that why i'm having Linksys Router problems? Any one knows about it? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Linksys Router Problems

The problem may have your lease time set real low. This is in the lan setup. Each model of LinkSys router will differ slightly, but the general design is similar across all models. Therefore, the setup is similar across all models. Try Disable all logging except error. Make sure you have the latest drives on the router.

LinkSys routers now ship with a Setup Wizard which is intended to simplfy basic configuration tasks. Try running without the router, hook directly to the modem. If the problem is still there it could be a weak signal from the cable company. Tell them what its doing. They should come out and check the signal strength on the line. My friend had this problem untill they put an amplifier on his line.

Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for the router? If this is the case, then that is supposed to happen. When you have changed the setup the router reboots and will be offline form 30-60 seconds. Basically when Internet traffic gets really slow and or I stop lossing links to my VPN clients the first thing I do now is look at the WAN link led on the Router as well as the Cable Modem Leds.

cool Re: Linksys Router Problems

My Linksys router and Comcast modem a working just fine. Here’s what I did.

First you must understand what you are trying to achieve. You are trying to make the modem think that it is talking directly to the computer. In other words, the Linksys router must look just like the Dell computer to the Comcast modem. This is primarily done by giving the router the same Mac address as a computer.
    1. Plug the ethernet cable from the back of the computer straight into the cable modem. Make sure you are able to get to the Internet just like that. If not, something is wrong with your modem. A Comcast tech will be glad to help you with the modem which is his own equipment.
    2. If the Internet is working, the modem is fine. On your computer screen, go to the command prompt (Start> Programs> Accessories >Command Prompt). Now you’re seeing a black DOS screen. Type in: ipconfig/release. Hit your Enter key. Wait 30 seconds and type in: ipconfig/renew Hit Enter again.
    3. Now that you have a fresh ip address issued by the cable modem, type in: ipconfig/all. This will give you the physical address of your computer. It should look like this: 00.1A.A0.22.1A.8B. This is an example not the actual address. Write this address down.
    4. Okay, plug the Internet cable from the back of your computer into your WAN connection socket. WAN is the first socket alone. LAN are the four sockets numbered one to four. Why forums don’t explain this I have no idea. Now plug the power cord to the router into the wall. you’re trying to get into the router’s configuration so you can change the Mac address.
    5. You can usually access the router in Internet Explorer browser by typing the address: 192.168.1.1; Sometimes, if you’ve tinkered with the firmware, your router’s main address may be different. If all else fails, hold down the reset button in the back of the router for 60 seconds. This should give the router back its factory defaults and now that address is good.
    6. Assuming you are inside your router’s administration page, find the tab that says Clone Mac address. Enable the clone, but type in the address you wrote down. Just in case you’ve forgotten, the physical address of your computer is the same Mac address we want to give to your router so the modem thinks it’s talking to the computer. While you’re there in the router, make sure your security is WPA with your personal security code, at least 10 digits long. Write it down.
    7. Save all settings. Get out of your router and turn it off, unplug it from the wall.
    8. Now here is the tricky part. The cable modem is on. The router is off. So that you don’t get confused, I am going to use color cables. I’m going to plug a gray ethernet cable into the back of my computer (It’s really already there). I’m going to plug the other end of the gray cable into the Number 1 LAN socket on my router. I’m going to plug a yellow ethernet cable into the cable modem. I’m going to plug the other end of the yellow cable into the WAN socket (standalone, not numbered) of my router. The yellow cable is transferring the internet to my router.
    9. You can now plug the router back into the wall. Give the router time to light up, and grab the information from the modem, maybe 60 seconds. The modem is on; the router’s on. All we need now is a wireless adapter.
    10. Plug your wireless adapter into the computer’s USB slot. Tell the adapter to find all the networks. When you find your network, double-click or click Connect. The adapter screen should ask for the 10 digit security code you wrote down. Once you plug this code in, the screen should be connected to the network.
    11. Now go around to each computer in the house and configure their individual wireless adapters to connect to the new network. Each time you will be asked for the 10 digit security code. Now everybody should be online.

So many people have helped me in these forums, I’m glad to give back. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Last edited by adjava007; 29-12-2009 at 11:20 PM.