Thread: FTP Login Problem

FTP Login Problem

I just signed up here for hosting and I'm having trouble getting my site up. I am trying to log into one of the FTP servers that I work on. When I go to my FTP i get a error saying the directory list cannot be found but it logs me on the domain fine, it just wont get the directory list. However, accessing the same address from the LAN (still, the same user/password), lets us connect to the FTP-server but results then in error 425 ("Can't open data connection"). How do i resolve my FTP Login Problem? Any one has any idea about it? Please help me out to get rid of the above issue. Thanks.

Re: FTP Login Problem

I assume your using windows. make sure your ip address is not in the "block List" i doubt its that but thats happend to me once and it gave me that error. Open your IIS Magenment and bring up the properties for your FTP. There is a security tab there with a box checked to allow anonymous connections, uncheck it and the server should use your current windows users, provided they have a password. If you don't have one, you can create an account for the FTP account in the Users setting in your Computer Management menu.

This issue occurs due to improper permission of the user account (FTP site) to the home directory. Make sure that your FTP client is in Passive Mode. I have often had the problem you're describing only to find that enabling Passive Mode works. This issue can be resolved by giving appropriate permission for the user account to access the home directory.

Well it seems their is a DNS issue on my home network for the ftp access as I can ftp to the url name from work.When a client computer makes a request as a Web proxy client, FTP requests are passed over HTTP, and only FTP downloads are supported. If your on "LAN" some times it wont work, better use your lan ip for this issues example ftp://192.168.1.2

On your ftp configuration file find allowanonymous = yes. Check from another computer on the same LAN to determine if the issue is with the server or with your firewall/routing. Install Firewall Client for ISA Server software to configure the computer as a Firewall client, or configure the computer as a SecureNAT client. Editing the Windows Registry incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require reinstalling your operating system. You may not have to remove Web proxy settings on the client. For example, a browser such as Internet Explorer will try to make a SecureNAT client request before making a Web proxy request. Success is dependent on the ability of the browser to resolve the FTP server name to an IP address.