Thread: Issue in opening port

Issue in opening port

Hello everyone,
    I am trying to configure an application that runs on Linux and includes a database sql. So far, so good. As I did not install a graphical desktop environment for Mandrake, it is not practical to view the content of that database. Fortunately, there are free utilities for this type of EMS SQL Manager for postgresql. And then I thought again its very good. A constraint, however: I have to run the EMS SQL on windows because I want to avoid me to go all the time on my Linux server when I do the basic maintenance on the application. Always "very well" since EMS manages the connection to a remote database: host name, a login, password and port number and shoo all is fine. EMS does not connect to my server. I wonder if the server does have the correct address, and especially wonder if it accepts TCP / IP and especially the 5432 (postgresql) is opened? After lot of research I got the following command.
    Code:
    iptables-A INPUT-i eth0-s XX.XX.XX.XX/XX.XX.XX.0-m state - state NEW-p tcp - dport 5432-j ACCEPT
    But after an time period my server address, I still can not see port 5432 open to question and of course EMS is unable to connect to the database. And that's where everything goes wrong. I see no solution and I am relying on you at least for other ideas. In advance thank you,

Re: Issue in opening port

Hi
    You can already start looking if your port is listening on your machine.
    Code:
    netstat-an | grep 5432
    If you do not retrieve line type
    Code:
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5432 0.0.0.0: * LISTEN
    Is that your postgres server is not running! Did you really allowed TCP connection? Look in the log, if you do not have a problem with launching your server.

Hello
    Ok, my postgres server was not started on the mandrake I sought to achieve.
    For the implementation of this application. I thought it might possibly be coming from the environment and so I also installed mandrake a slightly different and Debian. On Debian and Mandrake (2), postgres is started but still I did not recover after row.
    Code:
    netstat-an | grep 5432
    Of course I have previously executed the same command to open port 5432. Where it comes and it especially does not presage it not another problem? In advance thank you.

Hello,
    I completely abandoned my test different with Distribution, me to concentrate on the operation of postgresql on Mandriva. I managed to start my postgresql server and run the application I wanted. At this point your first tips came in handy. But now I come to what I am trying to do: access my postgresql database from windows since EMS Manager for PostgreSQL is a utility for Vision bases postgres. And then it gets harder still, despite what I find on the net. I reconfigured my opening ports
    Code:
    iptables-A INPUT-i eth0-s XX.XX.XX.XX/XX.XX.XX.0-m state - state NEW-p tcp - dport 5432-j ACCEPT
    And it does not work. By cons now I get a line style
    Code:
    tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5432 0.0.0.0: * LISTEN
    after the command
    Code:
    netstat-an | grep 5432
    I feel I'm on the right track. From EMS symbol on windows, I still can not connect to database postgres at least not even the ones I want. Besides log and pass default postgresql database, I found in my config but I do not know if it is specific or if c configured by default to the install. Any help with this problem.
    Last edited by Ash maker; 26-12-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Hello
    So if you have the listening port when you do your netstat is that the application is started and it listens for connections on this port.
    Now two things:
    1. Your firewall rules do not allow connections. You can always try deactivated in ip tables, see if that's it.
    2. Rule Your firewall is OK, the connection also, but the soft refuses to connect to the database. In this case we'll have to look in the PostgreSQL doc, I have nothing in mind. Normally the error message in your soft client (windows) should allow you to know what case you're located. Good luck with it.

Hi
    Like the ant, groping, I move through my quest. Always bcp through contacts that I had here. Getup had managed to put me in the path of wisdom will test if my postgres server was started. Now the postgresql server running, I can access the bases things to pgadmin running on my apache. But not always by EMS under windows. Indeed the error message from EMS is quite clear and well-orient myself on a connection error on my Linux server. Regarding the pass and user, I think it's good since I connect to another medium.