Thread: Ssh Secure configuration

Ssh Secure configuration

Hello,
    I just installed an openssh server on my linux machine. In fact I installed rpm in mandriva 2007. I added a line to my config file:
    Code:
    AllowUsers user@machine.domain
    (of course I have a real user name and remote machine).
    I wanted to know what I might with a configuration like that? Normally only this user can connect from the remote machine? In addition it will have only user rights? Any help with this.

Re: Ssh Secure configuration

Hi
    Ssh is a very good tools to secure remote connection. You do not call into question any of your safety with this line because you will always have a password and enter a complex cavity.
    Note : This keyword can be followed by a list of user name patterns, separated by spaces. If specified, login is allowed only for user names that match one of the patterns. `* 'And`? " can be used as wildcards in the patterns. Only user names are valid; a numerical user ID is not recognized. By default, login is allowed for all users. If the pattern takes the form USER @ HOST then USER and HOST are separately checked, Restricting logins to particular users from particular hosts.

Hi
    In fact I suspected that adding this line I would be on safe side. But I wanted to know generally a config that style that I might know. Otherwise, I have problems for X11Forwarding. When I run an X client on the local machine from the remote machine, I get "X server can not connect", while X11Forwarding is enabled on the ssh server machine locally. However my local machine is behind a router, which I redirected port 22, but no port for X11Forwarding. I tried the 6000 but without success. What could be the problem?

Hi
    Otherwise, I have problems for X11Forwarding. When I run an X client on the local machine from the remote machine, I get "X server can not connect", while X11Forwarding is enabled on the ssh server machine locally.
    For X forwarding also requires that the client is configured, look / etc / ssh / ssh_config which must have the value ForwardX11 yes. You can also configure / etc / hosts.deny and / etc / hosts.allow to deny all the ssh and after permitting only certain user. You can also check the setting PermitRootLogin of / etc / ssh / sshd_config which must contain value "no".

Hello
    Code:
    For X forwarding also requires that the client is configured, look / etc / ssh / ssh_config which must have the value ForwardX11 yes. 
    You can also configure / etc / hosts.deny and / etc / hosts.allow to deny all the ssh and after permitting only certain user.
    Ok thank you, For the X11 forwarding, I solved the problem by using ssh -X.
    In fact in a sense I do not need to do, but in the other si.. weird. Any idea about this problem. If you know one, please post back.

Hi
    Ok thank you, For the X11 forwarding, I solved the problem by using ssh -X.
    In fact in a sense I do not need to do, but in the other si.. weird.
    I do not know if this is true for mandriva, but in fedora, can activate ForwardX11 from the client with the following command which you have to issue in the terminal as a root user
    Code:
    ssh-Y host
    But I think that whether it's ssh Unix, BSD, Linux etc, so it's OpenSSH. The only thing that changes is the OS, not the application.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain