Thread: Cannot delete W32/Zmist.xyz from the laptop

Cannot delete W32/Zmist.xyz from the laptop

I have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed in the laptop with Kaspersky antivirus. An infection called W32/Zmist.xyz had been detected by the antivirus, but when I try to delete it, the antivirus freezes and it does not respond due to which it has to be ultimately stopped from the task manager. So, ultimately I cannot delete W32/Zmist.xyz from the laptop. I want to know why the antivirus is freezing while I try to delete this infection. Is there any other method to delete W32/Zmist.xyz?

W32/Zmist.xyz is a self replicating virus

W32/Zmist.xyz is a self replicating virus, so it can spread in the system easily. The attacker must have set some time or event for the replication to take place. So, your system will be filled with viruses. I think that this is the reason why the antivirus is freezing when you try to delete it. The virus may have taken over the antivirus and so, you cannot delete W32/Zmist.xyz from the laptop. I advice you to format the laptop and install a new copy of Windows in it.

Use boot scanning as the elimination method

If you cannot delete W32/Zmist.xyz from the laptop, then I suggest you to use boot scanning as the elimination method. This method eradicates the infections before the Windows startup, when the virus actually remains inactive. This is because the virus is not able to execute before Windows startup. So, this is the best time to remove an infection from the system. I use the same method for removing infections, if they enter the system. Use AVAST antivirus to get this boot scanning feature.

W32/Zmist.xyz belongs to the zombie family

W32/Zmist.xyz belongs to the zombie family and it uses a special polymorphic engine called MISTFALL. The aliases of this virus are:
    • W95.ZMist (NAV)
    • Win32.ZMist (KAV/AVP)
    • Win32.Zombie.Mistfall (DrWeb)

They generally find enter into the registry and manipulate the settings there, thus they can execute whenever the program of the particular registry setting runs. It must have manipulated the antivirus settings too, because of which you cannot delete W32/Zmist.xyz from the laptop. Inorder to remove them manually, you will have to find the corrupted registry settings and remove them. But, this will be a very tidy task.

Reinstall the antivirus

If you cannot delete W32/Zmist.xyz from the laptop with the help of the antivirus, then you will have to uninstall the antivirus since their settings seems to be manipulated. After uninstalling, restart the system and then reinstall the antivirus. Now, run a full system scan. The infections will be detected in the antivirus interface and hopefully you will be able to remove it directly from the antivirus interface, thus solving your problem. It is recommended that you keep the antivirus always updated.

Scan the system in safe mode

Scan the system in safe mode if you are not able to delete W32/Zmist.xyz from the laptop. Make sure that you scan all the hard drives and flash drives. The virus can be removed in safe mode because it is not able to execute in safe mode. If you still find the infections after scanning in safe mode also, then enable a system restore to a time when you think that the infection must have not entered the system. These are the only methods you can use to eradicate W32/Zmist.xyz from the system.