Thread: Issue's while sharing data using Wired communication

Issue's while sharing data using Wired communication

I have two laptops both running on Windows 7 and both are wireless enabled. The problem i am facing is that i can share my data using WiFi but cannot share it if i connect the two laptops using an Ethernet cable. I dont know much about networking and dont know if the communication between a wireless system and wired system is different. Please i need some information on this.

Re: Issue's while sharing data using Wired communication

Check the Network Interface cards on both the laptops if they are working properly. There is a self loop back address which can be used to check the Network card on both the laptops. To do this test, Click on Start menu and select Run. Now type "Ping 127.0.0.1" in the empty space. A black window will appear and you will see that there are some data packets send and received. If the data packets are received then the NIC's are working properly but if it is giving Request time out then there is some problem with the Network card which is creating the problem

Are you sure that the Ethernet cable used to connect both the laptops is proper? Many times it happens that the two computers are not able to connect with each other as the cable used to connect them is not proper. Check the cable if it has developed some cut or not. Also check the two RJ45 connectors at both the ends of the cable. Also check if the crimping is done properly or not because improper crimping leads to such problems.

Two computers or laptops cannot be connected using a simple ethernet cable. For connecting two computers/ laptops we need a special ethernet cable known as "Cross Over Cable". This is because two computers/ laptops receive and send data on same ports. To get the Crossover cable you need to follow a colour code at one end and then reverse the colour code at the other end. Follow these colour code to get a cross cable.
    Pin--------Colour-------------Pin no at other end
    1 White w/Green Stripe--------------8
    2 Green w/White Stripe--------------7
    3 White w/Orange Stripe-------------6
    4 Blue w/White Stripe----------------5
    5 White w/Blue Stripe----------------4
    6 Orange w/White Stripe-------------3
    7 White w/Brown Stripe--------------2
    8 Brown w/White Stripe--------------1
    You can also get a readymade cross over cable from the shops.
    Last edited by Shen; 23-12-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Just plugging the Cross over cable to connect two laptops will not be enough to share the data. You will also have to configure the LAN card. To configure the LAN card. Go to Network Connection, there you will see Local Area Network. Right click on it and go to properties. Now In general tab, Click on TCP/ IP utilities and click on Properties. Now select "Use the following IP address". Now enter the following IP on one of your laptop 192.168.1.3 (and 192.168.1.4 on the other laptop). Now it will select the subnet mask by itself. Put default gateway as 1.1.1.1 on both the laptops. After filling these entries, apply and click on OK. The LAN will be disabled and enabled again. Now you will be able to share data between two computers without any problems.

Yes there is a lot of difference between the Wireless communication and Wired communication. In Wireless communication you just need to specific the SSID (Service Set Identifier) and the password to authenticate the communication. Whenever you want to connect to a computer using a WIFI you just need to search for its SSID select it and then enter the password to establish the connection. In wired communication, the entire communication depends on the MAC and the IP Address. IP address of a computer is used to make sure the computer belongs to same subnet as of the communicating computer. While MAC address is important to finalize the communication, as the data is delivered in an Ethernet technology only if the MAC address of the receiver matches with the MAC address entered by the sender in the data packet. Hope this post helps.