Thread: What is this Win32/FakeVimes ?

What is this Win32/FakeVimes ?

I have heard the a malicious program 'Win32/FakeVimes', is been infecting a number of machines over the past one to two months. What exactly is this Win32/FakeVimes program. Is it any kind of fake anti virus? How can I protect my computer from such threats? Please suggest some anti-virus to help secure my computer from such threats.

Fake Security Tool

Win32/Fakevimes is a family of malicious programs that claims to scan your computer and display fake warnings about your computer being infected by malwares and viruses. The user is first given free services and then asked to purchase the license key by paying money, so that the computer is not attacked by any malwares or viruses in future.

Symtoms for Win32/FakeVimes

If your Windows Drive (usually the C Drive) hosts %application data%\privacy center or %program_files%\privacy center files then your computer is bound to contain Win32/FakeVimes Trojan. This is a fake security program that even redirects the search to some malicious websites. But it is virtually impossible to detect these changes in advance.

Firewall Settings

To protect your desktop computer from security threats always Turn on your Windows(or third party) Firewall On. To Turn Windows Vista Firewall On you may follow the following steps:
    • Go to Start Menu(Windows Orb).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Select Security
    • Select the option to Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.
    • Now click on OK.

System Format

My computer was infected with Win32/FakeVimes trojan. I tried to delete this virus but every time I delete it would return back. I used to get pop-ups about some anti viruses which I found to be fake. Also when I searched any thing in Goolge from my Google Toolbar, all my searches were redirected to some arbitrary websites. It used to prompt me to purchase a licensed version of some online anti virus.

Anti viruses for Win32/FakeVimes

There are many anti viruses that are capable to protect your computer from threats such as Win32/FakeVimes. Its just that you have to maintain them up-to-date i.e. regularly updated to keep track of latest threats and malicious programs. I would recommend you to download any of the following anti viruses to keep your computer safe: AVAST, McAfee, Norton Internet Security, Kaspersky.