Thread: ssh to my dorm computer with shared public IP

ssh to my dorm computer with shared public IP

Excuse me guys!! I have my own computer at my hostel on which i am using windows 7. I am a university student and sharing the static WAN IP (Internet or public IP). All the students from student dorm shares the same WAN IP. I just want to know that is it possible to establish the ssh connection to the students dorm computer from the computer presented in the campus.

Need all the rights of Administrator.

As you said that you want to connect to the ssh network but you are not able to connect. I think it would be happening because you would not be having the administrator right as it needs some rights to make changes on server. You may try to your administrator to give you the permissions about letting you doing this. Without Admin rights, It is not possible to enable such connections.

Use ssh with shared public IP.

You can try following command to use ssh network instead of [B]scp network.[/B

for filename in *; do
    cat $filename | ssh user@host "cd /path/to/upload/files/to; cat - > $filename"
    done

but regular scp will be the best.

Use scp which similar to ssh.

I think you can use scp network as you are trying to connect to the ssh network. SCP can also do the same task as ssh does. Use following command to use scp connectivity.

#!/bin/bash

cd ./files-to-upload
    scp * user@host:/path/to/upload/files/to

Make sure that you replace user@host with the real one. You will be prompted for a password to upload.

Run a sshd server on your home computer.

By following these steps you will be able to run ssh server on your home computer.
    1. Use DynDNS to bind your IP address to a known domain name if you have dynamic IP at home. It will assign you with the domain name for example shen.homeip.net.
    2. Make sure that your router routes through ssh connections to your computer.
    3. Type "ssh mydomainname.homeip.net" from your dorm computer.

Create Tunnels with ssh connection.

You can run the following command on your local system if you are using the remote server to create tunnels with ssh connection.

ssh -T -N -L 3308:localhost:3306 myserver.example.com

Where " -T " will disable the allocation of a tty and the -N command will disable the running of a command on the remote side. This would not be acting like the Terminal but you may say that this is the port forwarding.