Thread: Win32/Viking.gen!B virus on Dell Studio Laptop

Win32/Viking.gen!B virus on Dell Studio Laptop

The Win32/Viking.gen!B virus has attacked my Dell Studio laptop and it is not getting deleted by Avast anti virus. I do not know from where and how this virus got to my laptop as I have not used my laptop for past 3 days. Also if any one has any information on this virus then please do share so that I can get a proper idea about this virus.

Boot Scan with Avast.

I recommend you use the Schedule Boot Time Scan feature of Avast anti virus to detect and remove the virus forever from your laptop. Using this your anti virus will scan the laptop for any illegal suspicious program before the Windows load and thus not allowing the virus to activate itself. I always perform a Boot scan every weekend.

Boot Scan did not helped

Yes I have also performed the Boot scan but this also did not helped me. Two months ago I had a worm in my laptop which got downloaded from an email attachment and I was using McAfee anti virus which could not even detect it. I then installed Avast which deleted the worm in the Boot time scanning but this is not helping me out to delete the Win32/Viking.gen!B virus.

Virus: Win32/Viking

The parent virus is the Win32/Viking. A detection of this virus is Virus:Win32/Viking.gen!B. The virus aims to destroy the executable files in your system. The reason that your anti virus is unable to delete the virus can be because this virus is also known to attack the anti virus program in the infected system. It spreads through removable flash drives

Windows System Restore

There is a utility in Windows termed as System Restore, which is helpful to restore the settings of your computer to earlier date. To restore your Dell laptop to an earlier date you need to go to the Start menu and select the All Programs. Now proceed to Accessories and then to System Tools. now select System Restore. Use this System Restore to restore your Dell laptop.

Format your laptop

Even I had this same virus on my laptop just six days ago. This virus if not treated in time is really disastrous. This is because I initially neglected the security warning by my Norton Internet Security anti-virus, but then after two days I was not able to reach to my desktop screen. I tried to boot in safe mode but even that was not viable. The only option my computer technician suggested was to format. I am using Acer Aspire 4736 laptop.