Thread: No wifi on my Samsung netbook,what to do??

No wifi on my Samsung netbook,what to do??

Hey guys i have a new Samsung NP-N130 with a Realtek wireless card b/g/n and i cannot get wifi working on my netbook.It has Ubuntu 9.04 as its operating system.I am able to get Ethernet working which means i can use the wired connection if i need to download some files to fix my connection.I also have a computer with Windows XP if that needs to be used here for some assistance.I have a bit of linux command line knowledge but please make your replies as helpful as possible.
    Last edited by Garrett; 17-12-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Re: No wifi on my Samsung netbook,what to do??

I had a similar kind of issue with my Asus laptop.But that was solved when i upgraded my operating system to Ubuntu 9.10.But that reversed my problem with me not being able to access LAN but able to use wifi.Try using Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix.I suspect the issue has something to do with the drivers.With that version i suppose your problem should be resolved.Try installing your drivers via ndiswrapper.By the way i had this issue when i was working on battery mode,basically when my battery reaches roughly around 20%.
    Last edited by Milton.J; 17-12-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Ok here is what i had done when i had the issue.I made a fresh install of Ubuntu netbook remix.I made sure i had installed all the updates through the update manager using the ubuntu.securedservers website.Installed ndiswrapper through Synaptic Package Manager including the graphical user interface.Download the realtek driver and unzip it into the same directory.Use the Windows Wireless drivers tool and select the net829xp driver and install it.Hope this works for you just the way it did for me,good luck.

I dont see anything specific to Ubuntu Netbook remix that may be doing that.You might want to check your Phoenix BIOS settings.Check if your wireless is set to always on. Mostly this seems like an issue with drivers according to me like one of the posters said,so give a shot to reinstalling the drivers by downloading them off realtek's site.Try checking it with a different wifi card to see if it is an issue with the card.What the poster above me has suggested hadn't worked for me,but replacing the wifi card did work in my case,hoping the situation isn't that grave for you.

Well you could try and see if there are any particular patches or fixes available on Samsung's site for this issue.If this is a popular issue then surely they must have released a patch for it mentioning the same.Try the Realtek site as well to see if they have identified any particular issues similar to yours regarding their drivers and cards.I am currently using the same netbook as you with the same configuration with a realtek driver and haven't faced this problem yet so i can assure you at most it should have something to do with Ubuntu 9.04.Perhaps some update for this is bundled for this with Ubuntu 9.10

Thanks a lot guys for all your patience and assistance.I will surely go and check on Samsung's site to see if there are any available patches to fix this bug.I have already visited Realtek's site and i don't see any updates there in terms of drivers for this problem.I will try a change of operating system as well to see if this fixes the issue.Thanks all for all your replies.