Thread: How to connect WRT54G with local DNS?

How to connect WRT54G with local DNS?

My system has a local network that is WRT54G and it is in the default mode. I have also connected a couple of consumer switches to it as a result of which i get 10 connections that are wired. I have given names to all the devices that are in DHCP. Now, I want to know how to connect WRT54G with local DNS? I do not want to use a third party firmware for this connection as I am using the 6th version of the router. The use of other firmwares will make dd-wrt very unstable.

Re: How to connect WRT54G with local DNS?

Does the WRT54G have the ability of configuring the router that can assign an IP which is static to a specific MAC address. Then, you can connect WRT54G with local the DNS. Suppose that you want to connect the printer, then you simply need to give a static IP for the printer. This will help all your machines in the system and they will not loose its track. I have done the configuration in my system the same way and hopefully your problem will be solved too.

In order to connect WRT54G with local DNS, you have to check the TCP/IP properties. There, in the properties for NETBIOS, enable TCP/IP. Thus all the machines will be in the same work-group. You then need to appoint master browsing and a list has to be compiled where you will have to give the references of the dynamic IPs. If you want to do it with DNS only, then you will require a local lan dynamic dns server.

I dont think that you can connect WRT54G with local DNS without using a third party software. I use TOMATO FIRMWARE at my place and it surely has capability of connecting with the DNS. One of my routers have the setup for an access point that is wireless. I am not sure that your setup can provide you these features or not. So, I suggest you to use the tomato firmware to accomplish your requirements.

The DCHP works through IP--DNS--GATEWAY ADDRESS. The server cannot be forced to change IP address. So, I do not think that you can connect WRT54G with local DNS. I suppose that you are not going on with the correct setup/configuration to do your task. I suggest you to browse the web for necessary configurations and setups that will help you in connecting with the local DNS.

You want to connect WRT54G with local DNS. That is not a very complex issue. I suppose that you simply need to use a switch. This switch will solve the problem. NBT, which is also known as NET BIOS is used to exchange information and names too. Here the INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER is not involved. The same setup is at work at my place and it is working smoothly with no problems. So, use a switch in the setup to do the required configuration.