Thread: Malicious Program sending Links in Yahoo IM

Malicious Program sending Links in Yahoo IM

My friends are claiming that they keep getting links to some unknown websites from my messenger id. But I have never sent them any such links. And this usually happens when I am not logged in. I thought that my mail account got hacked but then when I created a new mail account, still the same happened. I am suing the Yahoo Instant Messenger on my new Sony Vaio VGN-P25G/N laptop. Please help.

Boot in Safe Mode

You should try to boot your computer in safe mode to detect any malicious program which may be present on your system. Try boot in safe mode, restart your computer or when your boot your computer keep tapping the f8 key. But do not do it very rapidly. This will display a screen to make your booting mode selection. Go to Safe Mode using the keyboard arrow keys and hit enter. This will load your system to safe mode disabling the third party tools. Now perform a full system scan.

Win32/IRCbot.gen!S detected

A virus Win32/IRCbot.gen!S is detect every time when I scan my Sony Vaio laptop in Safe mode. On selecting to delete the virus it does gets deleted. but again if I reboot my computer to Safe mode and scan the laptop the same virus is again detected. Is this the virus responsible for sending those links how to remove it.

Re: Malicious Program sending Links in Yahoo IM

The Win32/IRCbot.gen! threat deteced on your computer is a member of the Backdoor:Win32/IRCbot family of Backdoor Trojans. These Trojans are known to steal the data from the infected host as well as allow remote access to the attacker on the infected host. These Trojans migrate to other system by attacking the classes of Windows related to instant messaging. And thus using the user's account to send malicious links to the list in the user's account.

Un-install Yahoo

I suggest you immediately un-install Yahoo Messenger. Also delete all Yahoo files from your Program files folder. Go to the Control panel if to remove yahoo messenger if in case you are not able to un-install it. Download Avast anti-virus to your laptop and then perform a Boot time scan on your laptop to delete the trojan for ever.

System Restore

Might be that the System Restore utility can be helpful to fix the bug. Select the All Programs option in you Start Menu. Now go to Accessories and proceed to System Tools. This will list you a list of System Tools. Now to restore your system select System Re-store.