Thread: Fake Security Tools and Software programs

Fake Security Tools and Software programs

I want help on the topic Fake Security Tools and software programs. This is my assignment for the week. I have tried to google it out but nothing that informative of helpful was found. Can any one provide some of the fake security tools and software programs with their names and brief explanation?

Fake Malware Scanner: PrivacyCenter

I had bought a brand new Lenovo G450-2949 2KQ Laptop. I was very much exited about this new laptop of mine . I connected it to internet by using the same LAN cable that I used to for my desktop computer. But I did not had any anti virus formally installed on my laptop. There was a pop-up for PrivacyCenter a malware remover which indicated presence of viruses and malicious contents on my laptop. I clicked on it and installed it on my computer. Later on it would generate alerts every now and then and entice me to buy the licensed version. I then installed AVG anti virus which detect this PrivacyCenter to be a malicious program itself.

Windows Defender(FakeRednefed) 2008 Security Tool

Windows Defender 2008 Security Tool is a fake anti virus that mimics the Security Center of Microsoft. If infected it will display messages regarding infection from Trojans, Viruses and Worms which is all false. Here is a look at the Windows Defender Security Tool:

Trojan:Win32/FakeRemoc

Trojan:Win32/FakeRemoc is a malicious program that got unintentionally installed to my desktop. It would pop-up alerts for a Win32/Hiloti trojan. But latter on I learnt that it is a fake malicious program. As with most of the fake security softwares this also displays a duplicate Windows Security Center.

FakeScanti Trojan

The FakeScanti Trojan is detected as Win32/FakeScanti trojan by the McAfee anti virus. This is a Rogue security application that tends confuse the user by poping up wrong security alerts. When this Win32/FakeScanti trojan attacks your system it produces the following files in your Windows Drive:
    • %ProgramFiles%\Windows Antivirus Pro\tmp\dbsinit.ex
    • <system folder>\onhelp.htm
    • <system folder>\dddesot.dll
    • %ProgramFiles%\Windows Antivirus Pro\ANTI_FILES.EXE
    • %windir%\svchast.exe

Rogue Antivirus programs

Here are a Rogue Antivirus programs that can mimic themselves as a true anti virus application to fool the user in buying it by generating malicious program alerts:
    • VirusHeat
    • SpyDawn
    • Easyspywarecleaner
    • AntiVirGear
    • Security 2009 1.0 or Security 2009

Be careful enough in case you get any pop-ups regarding any virus alerts when you are online. Avoid clicking on any advertisements.