Thread: How to open port number 80 for incoming traffic on ubuntu

How to open port number 80 for incoming traffic on ubuntu

Hi guys i recently installed Ubuntu on my desktop computer and am using a software which needs the port 80 to be open.The thing is it seems by default port 80 seems to be closed.I need to know how to open it for incoming traffic.I am new at Ubuntu and linux in particular so please be patient with me.I am not too sure about firewalls or how they block ports which is a common reply i got on many forums.Any suggestion to make this problem go away will be largely appreciated because i have been struggling with this for a week now.thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Gavyn; 15-12-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Re: How to open port number 80 for incoming traffic on ubuntu

Hi, usually ports are blocked for security purposes so that unwanted connections are not made with your computer by unknown services.Ports are supposed to be blocked by your firewall. You might either have a firewall in your router or a software firewall on your computer which might be doing this.You need to configure iptables on your Ubuntu to open the concerned port.If you don't have a front end application for iptables then install Gufw which a user friendly application to change the default port settings.Hope this helps you.

If its an issue with a software firewall on your computer then you can do what zach is asking you to do.If it's your ISP - internet service provider blocking it then you can't do much,maybe try and call them and ask why it isn't open and if they can open it.All ports are closed in a default Ubuntu installation.In order to be able to connect a port must be allowed by your firewall and opened for incoming calls by the program on your computer.

It's an old problem with operating systems based on Unix that you should be a super user to use ports below 1024.Linux is basically following the same tradition without too many changes.What i will suggest you to do is this:

1. find out the path to the executable of the software.
    2. open a terminal(Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal)
    3. sudo /path/to/executable {you will be asked for your password}.

By the way if you use a port above 1024,this problem will go away very easily,so maybe you should give it a try.