Thread: Method to config DHCP server

Method to config DHCP server

Hello,
    I have a network of switches manageables which access has supervision is configured in DHCP. What methods are there for some switch automatically be placed in a sub-network and another in another? are there specific fields in the DHCP to do this?

re: Method to config DHCP server

Hi
    I do not understand your request or you can switch your DHCP servers are used for IP addresses to PCs that log into the switch. Either they are DHCP clients to be managed by an SNMP manager . It seems to me to be a bad idea because they may have different IP addresses of a boot to the other and therefore the management will not be simple. The IP address management of a switch should be fixed (and if possible in a VLAN / network administration different from the VLAN / network PC users). Hope this information helps you.

Hi
    I'll try to explain a little more deeply my problem. I have manageable switches that are on a network. Initially, the switch is configured as DHCP client with a default configuration and supervision is available without VLANs. What I would like to make is that the switch should go get that automatically configure a TFTP server. I was thinking to use the Boot File Name field of the DHCP protocol to know where to get the right file on the TFTP server and then configure the switch. But the problem is that the server must identify the type of switch him back to the DHCP request in the proper name of the configuration file. It's almost the same principle that freebox and another not? VLAN administration will therefore not tagged him and other services will be tagged cons. There may be problems to use the non-VLAN tagged him for the administration?

Hi
    You can configure your DHCP server so to assign a certain IP address based on MAC address
    Code:
    Swt host (
                    hardware ethernet xx: xx: xx: xx: xx: xx;
                    fixed 192.168.0.2;
            )
    You can also assign a certain pool of addresses you based on part of the manufacturer identifier, by defining a class:
    Code:
    Match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 8) = "twiglight"
    Then you specify that your pool belongs to this class:
    Code:
    pool (
           range 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.80;
           allow members of "twiglight";
           deny members of "Classe";
        )

Hi
    Thank you very much. The second solution for me was good, but you know how to do this also in Windows Server 2008 (maybe I should change the section of forum?)? I feel that in WS2008, it uses the class-class user-information to the filter.
    I would therefore
    1 - assign an ip address according to the fields DHCP vendor-class-identifier
    2 - DHCP server returns the file name config in the field Boot File Name
    What do you think of this method for managing devices on my network? I might have problems (security and otherwise)?