Thread: VPN disconnects other services in Windows 7

VPN disconnects other services in Windows 7

HI GUYS, Currently I am using a Windows 7 Enterprise on my computer. I have installed several messengers on my computer like Skype, Yahoo, Msn. Generally i use skype for conferencing. Here problem appears when i connect to my VPN it does not stop me to connect but as soon as it is connected then all of my messengers gets disconnected. Even my firefox has been blocked at that time and it asks me to add proxy address to use browsing at my firm.

Use default gateway on remote network

As you are using the VPN client, so i would suggest you do some changes on your properties of VPN connections. First of all go to Start menu and open “Control Panel" and select for Network go to "Internet\Network Connections” . Now go to Properties of VPN connection by right clicking on it. Change tab to the Networking and click for the properties of Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Go to advance properties and make a check for “Use default gateway on remote network” and press OK.

Network Restrictions of Comapany policy

As you said that you are doing all this operations at your work field then I would like to tell you that you might not be allowed such operations. I think you should confirm the restrictions of VPN network or browsers on your computer with your administrator of the network. It may happen that connecting to VPN is intentionally disconnecting you from the browsing or messengers .

Configure the Server to Use a Static IP Address Pool

I think you need to do some changes to the Sere which is Running Routing and Remote Access. To do the same you need to follow this procedure.
    1. Go to start menu then All Programs then Administrative tool and select Routing and Remote Access.
    2. Go to properties of the server which runs Routing and Remote Access by right clicking on it.
    3. Switch to the IP tab and select address pool then press Add.
    4. Type in the start range for IP and Ending range then click OK.
    5. Note that you are configuring a pool of static IP addresses on network segment other then LAN.
    6. Select the Enable IP routing check box and press OK.

Normal Behavior of VPN

Sorry to say this but you may feel not good about it. In Virtual Private Network as its name suggest that it is a private network. Private network will act as a private so while using VPN you might not use other networks simultaneously. It is a normal behavior of VPN according to me.

Install DNS Service on Server.

You have following steps to install DNS Service on your server by which you would be able to control some domains.
    1. GO to Start then Control Panel and open Add or Remove Programs.
    2. Then switch to the Add/Remove Windows Components button.
    3. Go to Windows Components Wizard dialog box, select for Networking Services from the list of Components.
    4. Make a check for the Domain Name System (DNS) checkbox and click OK.
    5. Click on Next of the Windows Components.
    6. Press OK in the Insert Disk dialog box. Provide path to i386 folder from the installation CD.
    7. Click Finish to exit.