Thread: Win32/Refroso.A attacking McAfee anti virus

Win32/Refroso.A attacking McAfee anti virus

I have bought the Zenith laptop, Model- Director Plus Ultra last weekend. It was working fine. I installed McAfee anti virus on my Zenith laptop. It is an older version which I used for my desktop. But actual problem started from the last two days after connecting my laptop to internet. My friends have complained of a worm as Win32/Refroso.A which they locate in their pen drives after using it on my laptop. But my McAfee is unable to trace the worm.

McAfee Updates

Probably your Anti virus needs to be updated. Since you are using an older version of the McAfee anti virus it is unable to track any new Virus, Worms or Trojan programs on your laptop. Download the latest McAfee updates on another computer and the install them on your computer. The update you anti virus and scan your computer to delete the worm.

Win32/Refroso.A destroy Windows Security Center

The worm Win32/Refroso.A as detected by your friends is a malicious illegal program that attacks the Windows Security Center. It also aims to attack the anti virus if it not detected. It thus then does not lets your computer to generate any alerts from any malicious contents on your computer. If your Windows drive (%windir% = the drive in which you installed Windows, mostly C Drive) contains a file %windir%\usb_drv.exe then for sure computer is infected by the worm. Also the values in the registry editor are modified:
    Value: "Universal Bus device"
    With data: "usb_drv.exe"
    In subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Re: Win32/Refroso.A attacking McAfee anti virus

I have downloaded the updates on another computer and then installed it on my Zenith laptop. But nothing seems to happen. I did it three times but even after updating McAfee, it is able to trace the worm. Can you provide some other anti virus for deleting this worm.

Use Avast Boot Scan

Seems as if your McAfee is either not able to update or it is also been attacked by the worm. There are many anti virus available which include Avast, Norton, AVG, Kaspersky, etc which are capable of destroying the worm but still I will suggest you download Avast anti virus as I am also using the same on my Dell Vostro desktop.

Remove Win32/Refroso.A from Safe Mode

It might be that the Safe mode will solves the issue for you. Using the anti virus that you have installed update it first. Then reboot your machine in Safe Mode by tapping the F8 Key on your keyboard as soon as the computer starts to reboot. Then using your anti virus perform a complete scan of your system.