Thread: Virus W32/Winemmem on 500GB Seagate hard disk

Virus W32/Winemmem on 500GB Seagate hard disk

I have recently bought a new Seagate 500 gigs hard disk. I have replaced my old 120 gigs hard disk and I am now only using Seagate 500 gigs hard disk. I have installed Windows 7 RC on this hard disk. And I am using McAfee anti virus. But from the last three days my hard disk seems to infected by W32/Winemmem virus. I have used another hard disk instead of the new hard disk and that time McAfee does not displays any security alerts. But as soon as I use my new Seagate hard disk it starts displaying security alert messages but cannot delete it.

Re: Virus W32/Winemmem on 500GB Seagate hard disk

I believe that you need to do a system restore if possible. Even my new Seagate hard drive of 320 GB was infected by a Win32 kind of a virus. I was not able to delete the virus by scanning it using anti virus. I then though of doing the system restore. So went to the Start Menu and then went to All Programs(or Programs), selected Accessories, highlighted System Tools and finally clicked on System Restore.

I have tried the System Restore utility of Windows but it is not providing the solution for my query. I am unable to do a system restore as there are no restore points to be selected. I think the virus has also deleted the restore points and thus not allowing me to restore my computer. Even I am unable to double on my Local Drives folder to open them. Please help.

The Virus aims at increasing the size of the .exe file. The virus infects the .exe files and when they are executed and then re-write the code. It also infects the removable media attached to the infected machine. I am using Avast anti virus to protect my computer from such malicious illegal threats. I suggest you also download Avast anti virus and perform a Boot time scan to delete the virus W32/Winemmem from your hard drive.