Thread: Windows 7 Backup : Server execution failed(0x80080005)

Windows 7 Backup : Server execution failed(0x80080005)

I'm having a Sony VGN-NS140E laptop on which i had installed Windows 7 Home Premium x64 as my operating system. Now the problem is that when i try to make a complete backup of the computer, get an error "The backup application could not start due to an internal error: Server execution failed(0x80080005)". I do not know if this is a new or old problem as this is the first time I tried to use Windows Backup. Can any one tell me that why i'm getting Windows 7 Backup : Server execution failed(0x80080005) error message? Any one knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Windows 7 Backup : Server execution failed(0x80080005)

I suspect that related system components are corrupt. This issue can be caused by third party conflicts, let’s try Backup in Clean boot mode. Please load your Windows 7 installation resource and do an In-place Upgrade to repair the system. This issue can occur if the Volume Shadow Copy service or the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service is stopped. It's better to make sure the two services are start. You can run the following two commands to start them.

What type of drive are you backing up to, internal or external? Are you backing up a laptop system? Can you please start the block level backup engine service and see if you can start it successfully? Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't adversely affect the system or other programs.

In order to get rid of the above issue, you need to check out the following link. I found running McAfee quickclean hung my PC every time and caused 'chkdsk' to run at startup. Run CCleaner to clear up PC Junk. Reboot. If you are using windowsupdate try using Microsoft updates and vice versa. Sounds like you need to find updated software. You could use an alternative, such a z-zip which can archive stuff.

question Re: Windows 7 Backup : Server execution failed(0x80080005)

Hello
    I am having the same problem is there a simple fix to this problem?

Please let me know Thankyou

This looks like some issue with the System Volume Information which is being occupied by some other application in your system. For that you have to perform a clean boot and check that you have the ownership of files in your system. Reboot your system and then stop all startup services via msconfig. Click on start > run and type msconfig. Then in that go to startup and click on selective startup. Choose to hide all microsoft services. After that select disable all and reboot.

question Re: Windows 7 Backup : Server execution failed(0x80080005)

Hi
    Thank you for the sugestion but I still get the 0x80080005 error

any further help will be appreciated

Dave

The issue is really related to the System Volume Information. I have seen a lot of issues like this and I have found that the issue was usually because of the OWERSHIP. I have noticed that the System Volume Information is not actually owned by the system but is actually within the hand of some other user or some other process. This is usually the core issue behind this and I think that is what is unexpected. I would like you to change the ownership and delete the backup catalog and see if you can get rid of your problems. I have seen many of others getting unblocked and have even seen that the Backup is running well. Hope the same in your case as well.

I have changed the ownership but I am unsure how to delete the backup catolog can someone please help?