Thread: How to manually update Windows Live OneCare

How to manually update Windows Live OneCare

Hey guys, i am in need of some urgent help from you all guys.. I am a Windows Vista user and have installed Windows Live OneCare. I am using this from last 1 month without any problem and it keeps updating itself. But today when i turned on my computer, i saw that Onecare is showing red status in the taskbar and it gave me an error message saying "its virus and spyware protection need updating."

I don't know what is the problem because Onecare keeps updating itself. Do you guys have any idea about this ? Please help me out in fixing the same...

Re: How to manually update Windows Live OneCare

As of my knowledge Windows Live OneCare regularly checks for program and service updates when your computer is connected to the Internet. It downloads and installs the updates automatically when they are available. But as you said and mentioned the error, i'll suggest you to verify that you can connect to the Internet by trying to visit a website. To verify that your computer is connected to the Internet, just try out these steps:-

• Click Start, click in the Start Search box, type ncpa.cpl, and then press ENTER.
    • Right-click the connection name, and then click Status.
    • If your computer is connected, the IPv4 status will appear as Internet.
    • If your computer doesn't appear to be connected, right-click the connection name, and then click Connect, Enable, or Authenticate.

If you have an "always on" Internet connection, updates to Windows Live OneCare will often occur behind the scenes and you might not even notice when an update has happened. If you have a dialup Internet connection and you haven't connected to the Internet for several days, you might receive a notification telling you that Windows Live OneCare needs to go online to check for updates. In this case, connect to the Internet, and the update will happen automatically.

You can download and install Windows Live Onecare Application or Virus and Spyware Protection by clicking on this link. This tool will fix the issue for some customers who have red action items in their OneCare application: either "Update your virus and spyware protection" or "Update Windows Live OneCare". If "Check for updates" fails, even though the computer has a working internet connection, this tool will attempt to reset OneCare settings and reattempt the download and install for the pending updates.

To install the correct version of the Windows Live OneCare antimalware definition update, you must know whether Windows Vista s running in a 32-bit or a 64-bit operating environment. Additionally, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. After you verify the operating environment, download the appropriate update version of the program. To do this, click one of the following links:

For 32 bit

For 64 bit

After you click the appropriate link, click Run to install the definition update file immediately. Or, click Save to save the file to the computer. If you click Save, remember the folder to which you save the file.

To install the saved file, click Start, click Run, locate the folder to which you saved the file, double-click the file, and then click OK.