Thread: What is best for wireless, N-tech or G-tech ?

What is best for wireless, N-tech or G-tech ?

Hi, my router is set to broadcast by default on B,G and N. The adapter of Intel I use only supports B and G, with the default mode on my router. Whenever I start my router it causes my wireless connection to drop.!!. After making the change in mode to only B and G on the router, keeping the same existing security and default channel and security key. Now the connection no longer drops. Is this problem causing because of N availability. Also I want to purchase another router. So which one should I prefer..?? The N-router or should I stick with G-router.

Re: What is best for wireless, N-tech or G-tech ?

Wireless N is the newest wireless networking technology which has yet to have been ratified. However according to me it should get completed by the start of 2010. Then only it can prove to be useful. Wireless N provides better range and higher speeds assuming you have both a wireless N router and card. The N-tech is dual band means it can operate both, 5 GHz & 2 GHz spectrum's allowing it to be more fast. Its throughput is 144 MBits (Apprx.) when compared to G's 22. The range of N-tech is 300ft compared to G-tech's 150ft. So if you want to go for N Router you should be waiting till it arrives, otherwise go for G router.

I think that the N availability is causing some issue. You can use your router by keeping it on B & G only. If you are looking for the new router, here are some information about them.

Wireless G had a maximum bit rate of 54 mbps. You can get range of G router till 150 feet. Currently this is the most common type of wireless router throughout the world.

And wireless N is the relatively new kid on the block. This is next generation's wireless and has a maximum bit rate of 74 mbps. In N technology you can get range till 250 feet. It’s also said that Wireless N travels at a higher frequency and can go through solid objects faster. Instead of running on a 2.4 GHz network like Wireless G, it travels on a 5 GHz network.

The 802.11g was the fastest wireless networking protocol in existence until wireless N came into existence. Like 802.11g supports a maximum speed of 56Mbps. The problem with G tech is not so much that it is too slow (56Mbps for wireless is pretty good) but the drawback is that it shares a wireless band with many common devices that cause considerable interference. The G tech worked on the 2.4 GHz band like the most of cellphones, cordless phones did.
    This was the reason for not to upgrade G, instead launch new tech. This gave rise to N routers having better speed than G. You can go for the N routers but its not always best with the new technology. So I suggest you to stick with the G routers.