Thread: Destination Path Too Long" Error on Windows 7

Destination Path Too Long" Error on Windows 7

I'm running Windows 7 as my operating system. Now the problem is that i'm not able to delete a folder on my system. Whenever i try to delete taht particular folder from my backup drive, it gives out an error stating "Destination Path Too Long: The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. I'm not able to delete that particular folder. Can any one tell me that why i'm getting "Destination Path Too Long" Error on Windows 7, while deleting a particular folder? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Destination Path Too Long" Error on Windows 7

How big are the file names? How is your backup drive formatted? Is it NTFS or FAT32? Properties on the drive in the My Computer Explorer window should tell you. Moving a couple of the folders to another on the other hard drive with less sub-folders did indeed do the trick, but I have no idea how everything will react once I move all the other files onto it. In the Windows API, the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters.

All file systems supported by Windows use the concept of files and directories to access data stored on a disk or device. I did notice that within C:\Users\UserName \AppData\Local\ there is a shortcut called Application Data . This appears to be the default for all Windows 7 user accounts. Windows developers working with the Windows APIs for file and device I/O should understand the various rules, conventions, and limitations of names for files and directories.

Some file systems, such as NTFS, support linked files and directories, which also follow file naming conventions and rules just as a regular file or directory would. I think you need to do a CHKDSK D drive in order to check out whether there's any file system been corrupted. Character count limitations can also be different and can vary depending on the path name prefix format used. This is further complicated by support for backward compatibility mechanisms.

The Windows FAT and NTFS file systems are not limited to 8.3 file names, because they have long file name support, but they still support the 8.3 version of long file names. The simplest thing to do would be to shorten or remove one of these components. If you look at the dynamic file-naming settings, there is a function called GRAB that can take a substring of some part of your filename. Formatting the external drive as NTFS (assuming you're running Windows) instead of FAT32 will avoid filename limitations of FAT32. But using NTFS on a USB drive that gets plugged in and out can have its own issues.

This a frequent problem,that generally causes the long folder path in your device.
    There's a lot of additional software on the internet which can help you.I found Long Part Tool.It helped me.
    Long Path Tool can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename.
    I hope that it will help you!
    Good luck!
    Cheers!