Thread: Printer sharing on XP and iMac

sad Printer sharing on XP and iMac

I need help with sharing a printer on Windows XP and an iMac. My printer is currently attached to my laptop and shared with my PC, both running Windows XP. My recently bought iMac (running Snow Leopard OS)will not print via the laptop. When the printer is attached to the iMac there is no problem. After contacting Apple support I got as far as the printer status window which shows the print job and the word “printing”, but nothing happens. Apple support then said it’s a windows problem but I’m not convinced.
    When setting up the iMac 2 days ago I successfully set up file sharing and imported my favourites into Safari. However I now find I cannot access file sharing on the laptop, so something has got changed; I don’t know what. When selecting the laptop printer to print I’ve noticed that the Location is shown as “unknown” and the Host as “Local host” which seems wrong. I’ve checked that the iMac and laptop can communicate by pinging both ways.
    I’ve used Windows computers for many years but am struggling with this problem, which I can see from various forum comments is a common one.
    Can anyone help.

Re: Printer sharing on XP and iMac

• First setup the XP box simply sharing the printer. looks like you've already done this.
    • On the Mac: goto "Printer Setup Utility" this can be found under Utilities in Applications
    • Click on Add
    • In the dropdown list at the top of the "printer list" box choose Windows Printing
    • You should then see your XP machine in the list.
    • Double click on it and put in your username/password.
    • Your printer should then show up in the list.
    • Choose it and select the proper printer Model and you should be good to go.

As you said that you were using it properly then from the second time the problem has been started. I think your printer would be searching for the same old one computer. You can try reinstalling the printer like the fresh one. May this would make your printer work properly.

You will need to install a printer driver on your Mac. If one is not available for your printer, then you are out of luck. n Windows, add a new network printer; you can find it by browsing. But now the important thing is when it asks to select a driver for the printer, select any PostScript driver like the Apple LaserWriter or Color LaserWriter instead of the printer model you're using. If you have one to install, then I would do so and temporarily connect the printer to your Mac, with the idea being that if you can't get it to print when connected to the Mac then you aren't going to get it work via Windows printer sharing.

Printer driver is not a problem because I've installed the printer on the iMac successfully using updated driver freshly downloaded. Printer works when attached to iMac (also when attached to Windows laptop).
    I added the printer to use on the laptop using Print & Fax in System preferences (there is no Printer Set Up utility in Utilities on Snow Leopard). I've reset (deleted) the printer on the iMac and reinstalled; also added the printer to use on the laptop but I've noticed that when I select the second (laptop) printer in Print & Fax the Location is blank, despite that fact that when I set it up I chose the printer on Mylaptop. So when I double click on this printer (in Print & Fax) the printer status window appears without requesting a username and password.